SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
solstice98

Scary PayPal Issue Resolved

solstice98
16 years ago

For any of you who use Paypal to purchase plants or garden equipment, I have a story for you. One with a good ending.

I received a notice from them 2 days ago about 'an unusual purchase'. They had it set up as an inquiry but no information on why. My account had been frozen until they could resolve it but they recommended I change my password immediately.

OK that all got my attention so I went to the website and what I saw there really made me nervous! Someone had purchased hundreds of dollars of camera equipment on eBay and paid for it with my Paypal account. The equipment had all been sent to a buyer in Viet Nam! [Yes, I would like to own hundreds of dollars worth of new camera equipment (they had excellent taste in cameras, by the way) but I would have had it shipped to me.]

I let Paypal know I hadn't made the purchase, then called my bank. The bank immediately credited my account but said it was a temporary credit, pending resolution of the complaint. Of course I had to cancel that Visa card with all the hassle that goes along with that. Unfortunately it's the one I use for some automatic payments, like SunPass.

But here it is only 2 days later and I already received the resolution notice from Paypal. They have credited back everything that was in question and removed all of the transactions from my account history.

Although it was scary, I'm really impressed with the way they handled it. At this point I'm still not certain HOW this all happened and I still want to know that. I don't know if it was a deliberate fraud scam or if it was some type of accounting error. If I can find out, I'll let you know.

Advice to all:

1. Review your accounts weekly to be sure there aren't any questionable transactions. If Paypal hadn't alerted me I could have missed this until I received my Visa statement. I'm sure it would have been harder to resolve if it had been over 30 days old.

2. Change your passwords often! I have some I hadn't changed for years and once someone gets them, through Spyware or any other way, they can access anything.

Kate

Comments (4)