SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
stpete_mango

Mango, mandarin, sapodilla, lychee tree heights

stpete_mango
11 years ago

Hi, folks. Need your expertise on this. Around mid-March I would like to plant several fruit trees. I expect/hope to keep the trees 15 feet or less. Have been doing some research on this forum and other places online, enough to have questions (information overload!).
The mangoes get pride of place, and I plan to get 3, perhaps 4. The varieties I am looking at are Glenn, Mallika, Nam Doc Mai and, possibly, a Neelum to extend the season. Or I could get reckless and swap Neelum out with a Lancetilla.
My worry is the conflicting information I keep coming across. Jene's Tropicals, on their website, describe Glenn's mature height at 45 - 50 feet, which rules it out for me. I expect to prune to shape and shorten, but don't fancy it getting to be weekends with Glenn and a lopper / pruning saw. But other sites say Glenn's mature height is about 15 feet, and that it can be easily kept at 10 to 12 feet tall, hence my confusion.
Anybody with these mango trees (Glenn, Mallika, Nam Doc Mai, Neelum, Lancetilla) care to offer tips? How old and how tall are your trees? Do you prune? Do you prune heavily to keep them at the height you have them?
The mandarin I will likely get in a Ponkan, said to top out at 12 - 15 feet. Another option is a Clementine tangerine, which is said to be a bit shorter. Does that sound about right?
Makok sapodilla: How tall does it get when mature? It seems to be the smallest of the sapodillas. Some of you have praised the Alano and the Hasya, but they appear to be much bigger trees.
Emperor lychee: The taste is quite good, and the tree is said to be small when mature. How small?
I had asked a couple of weeks ago about 3 gal and 5 gal pots, and some of you were kind enough to reply. I have been busy since then, clearing out some bushes to make room for the fruit trees. My yard is pretty bare (also trimmed down a lot of ornamentals, checked the reclaimed water lines (not planning to use that for the fruit trees), arranging for a tuckload of mulch and doing general maintenance work. The trees will get a lot of sunshine whole day long since my neighbor doesn't have any tall trees. They recently planted a NDM, but it's too far to cast a shadow on my trees when it grows up.
Also been tracking the angle of the sun -- and shadows -- the past month, kind of keeping tree spacing in mind. Neighbors probably think I'm nuts, going to different parts of the yard and raising a 10-foot long PVC pipe straight up as high as I can make it, then marking the ground where the shadow reaches!
So, please do offer your insights, I look forward to learning from you.

Comments (9)