SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
weeper_11

Autumn blaze maple and others

weeper_11
11 years ago

I'm still trying to choose a good maple for our large farm..I have room for one more, and I've been trying to find something that will be hardy, but will also have a nice red color and grow to be large.

We have a silver cloud maple already, which has been very hardy and healthy and we like it a lot.

The greenhouses around here have Autumn Blaze, as well as the Unity sugar maple. Any information from anyone who grows them in 2b/3a? Do they over winter well? Any concerns about them?

Any other recommendations for a good, large shade tree? We already have bur oaks, a weeping willow(planted FAR away from the house and any water lines), 2 amur maples, 1 tatarian maple, 1 hot wings tatarian maple, a tree lilac, a silver maple and a silver cloud silver maple, a american mountain ash, a thunderchild crabapple and a unnamed weeping purple leafed crabapple, which is just like thunderchild, but with drooping branches.

So we have lots of the 15-20 ft range trees, because that is what the nurseries have a lot of. But we would like at least one more large shade tree.

We have heavy clay soil that is alkaline. Which means lots of iron chelate for our amur maples..:(

One more thing - if you were going to get a white flowering tree, what would you choose (for ornamental value only) for my yard: a pear, hawthorn, or crabapple? I don't want a mayday because of black knot. If I don't have a pollinator, the pear will only flower and not fruit, right? I've heard they have weak wood and don't live very long though?

Sorry for all the questions. I didn't want to spam up the forum too bad with multiple threads. :D

Comments (13)