SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
wisconsitom

Another feelgood post

wisconsitom
16 years ago

Took a drive with my wife yesterday to the area in and around Algoma, Wisconsin, which is on Lake Michigan in Kewaunee County. Now, I knew what this region was like before, but a return trip was still inspiring.

What inspired me?-this is home-central for native stands of Thuja occidentalis-always one of my favorite trees. The soil in this area is fertile but VERY rocky, with the dolomitic limestone of the Niagara Escarpment at or near the surface. T. occidentalis makes its' best growth on such sites, and it is the dominant conifer in this area. Thick, thick stands! We drove down a long driveway thru the woods to look at a cottage on the lakeshore that was for sale (Pure dreamland here-giant dollars for these types of properties nowadays) and it was the darkest forest floor I've ever seen.

In a couple places, piles of "cedar" logs were stacked by the road. While I hate to see this fine but slow-growing tree being harvested, it is testimonial to its' commoness in this region that there is enough around to make such harvest possible.

Also, white pine, hemlock, white spruce, and a few balsam fir were also part of the mix. And while not a conifer, I also like how the paper birch in this cool lakeshore area seem to live longer and thus, grow larger, than their more inland fellows.

No question here. Just relating a positive impression of a ride thru a somewhat unique area. Incidentally, if anyone's interested, Kewaunee County is at the base of the "thumb" that is Door County here in Wisconsin.

+oM

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County