SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jasdip1

Feel-good tv shows?

Jasdip
7 years ago

We have a lot of tv shows on our roster, and a lot of them are gritty--- Blacklist, How to Get away with Murder, Happy Valley, Dr. Foster, Scandal, etc etc.

We like watching a gritty one then something a little lighter, such as Mysteries of Laura, Rizzoli & Isles (sniff sniff). We've finished them, and are still watching White Collar and Suits, to relieve the grittiness. We also like Leverage.

As you can see, we lean towards cop shows, but that's probably chance. A real light-hearted one that we enjoyed was Hart of Dixie. I'm thinking of starting Blue Bloods with Tom Selleck. Hubby enjoys that. We also watch Madam Secretary, Designated Survivor. Hubby likes The Americans and Homeland.

What shows do you watch?

Comments (37)

• caseynfld
    7 years ago

I don't watch many dramas. I did watch and really enjoy Dexter & Six Feet Under, but they're finished now. Also enjoyed Jericho and Heroes.

I watch The Big Bang Theory, Modern Family, Survivor, Amazing Race and Rick Mercer Report.

One of my favourite shows was American Dreams, I don't know if you can find that or not, it ended in 2005 or so.

• caflowerluver
    7 years ago

We are all over the place with what we watch. We feel there is not a lot of good stuff out there. Some shows like Elementary, we continue to watch because we have been watching them for years.

Right now we are watching: Imposters on Bravo, Humans on AMC, 24 Legacy on Fox, Time After Time on ABC, The Magicans and The Expanse on SYFY, Legion on FX, Designated Survivor on ABC, Colony on USA, Elementary on CBS.

• Related Discussions

good TV shows available on Amazon

Q

Comments (36)
    I don't watch much tv-- but bf and I follow at least one show a season so we can watch "together" while he is still a number of states away. Here are some we've enjoyed this way-- or binge watching when together. OH.. and we are similar.. dramas or GOOD comedies. Dexter Homeland Detroit 187 The Killing Orange is the New Black (netflix only) Sherlock (BBC) Downton Abbey (he likes it too) West Wing Homicide Prime Suspect (BBC) Pushing Daisies Scandal (this one is just mine-- but it started jumping the shark last season) Parenthood A few oldies but goodies.. Northern Exposure Homicide Six Feet Under Any BBC show with Robson Green
    ...See More

Our Story Using TV Shows....The Entire Story Line

Q

Comments (2)
    Thanks for all your hard work Karen! Can't wait to read it in its entirety. Jodi-
    ...See More

Part One of Gomer and Margie - Story Using TV SHows

Q

Comments (10)
    Good job Karen! I tried to search for the very first segment, but it must be bumped off the site now. So this is only the story of Gomer and Margie, which have had quite the adventures of their own.
    ...See More

The Good Place is the best TV show ever made.

Q

Comments (0)
    The Good Place is the best TV show ever made and here’s why. it has a great plot it has has great characters it’s funny and any show that makes you want to read about moral philosophy is great If you have not seen it, then you should watch season 1 on Netflix. There is a 99% chance you will love the show. Sadly, they have only made 2 seasons. Each one is only 13 episodes long. They are making a Season 3 soon, out in early autumn. Season 2 is better then Season 1. I’m betting Season 3 will be great!
    ...See More
  • User
    7 years ago

My favorites are the Grey's Anatomy and all the Chicago shows, Fire, MD, PD. The newest to that group is the DA's office, it's new but the jury is still out on that one. (hee hee! The jury ouy! Get it?), I also like Madam Secretary. I record Blue Bloods and will save it for when nothings else is on. The storylines are ok, I just don't care for Danny Walberg's character; all he does is yell and treat his woman partner like she works for him.

I watched the White Collar series a while back on Netflix, that was such a cute show. Light and well done. Another that I saw on Amazon (free with Prime) is a show called NewsRoom. It was fast paced and interesting.

• Fun2BHere
    7 years ago

When I need a break, but I don't want to think too hard, I watch The West Wing. Of the current shows, I watch Madame Secretary, Elementary, NCIS: Los Angeles, Lethal Weapon and Grey's Anatomy. I liked season one of Humans. Is season two as interesting? I just started watching Legion, but it's a tough slog for me because it's so disjointed. Does it get better? I'm looking forward to the new seasons of Dark Matter and Orphan Black.

• anitamo
    7 years ago

Heartland is a feel good series. Can't remember if it's on Netflix or Amazon prime.

• User
    7 years ago

Looking forward to the return of Frankie & Grace on Netflix in a couple weeks.

We're wrapping up streaming Bloodline tonight. I'm actually glad there isn't another season.

Loved Last Tango in Halifax (BBC), Happy Valley (BBC) and Rectify (Sundance)! Streamed all on Netflix.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    7 years ago

I watch very little network TV. Do enjoy the Big Bang Theory, Blue Bloods and Madam Secretary but that's about it. I have been Netflix binging lately - first the entire library of Blue Bloods (I'm a big Tom Selleck fan), then Midsomer Murders (boy, there's a LOT of them - that took a good two weeks!) and now I am on Poirot. If it wasn't pledge season, I'd be watching PBS and as much as I do watch PBS, I would have thought I'd seen all the Midsomer and Poirot shows already but they just seem to repeat the same few. Most of what I have viewed on Netflix I have never seen.

• chisue
    7 years ago

We haven't watched commercial TV other than news programs in decades, but we do spend at least an hour a day watching *something*. We record Masterpiece Theater and stream from Amazon.

We're waiting for The Americans Season 5 and Suits Season 6 to be free on Prime. Waiting for Bosch Season 3 and The Last Tycoon. We enjoyed The Night Manager, Goliath, Sneaky Pete, and (a while back) two seasons of The Nick. I think we've seen every season of New Tricks and Midsomer Murders. (Amazing we can still SEE.)

I'll add Leverage, The News Room, and White Collar to our list, thanks to this thread! I see most have have 5-star ratings. Thanks!

• bossyvossy
    7 years ago

I don't like madam secretary. They make tea Leóni so wise and perfect and solver of all problems, all she needs is a cape to fly side by side Superman and save the world. So perfect that makes me question if we need any other govt officials, she can do it all! Ha

• PRO
    Anglophilia
    7 years ago

I love Blue Bloods. Definitely a "feel-good" show.

• sleeperblues
    7 years ago

I just finished The Returned on netflix, I think it was originally on A&E. The last episode left a whole of questions, so there better be a season 2. The story is about a group of people that have returned from the dead years after they died, and all of their stories intertwine in one way or another. They are not zombies, they are regular people when they return. It was sad and creepy and very well acted. Just started Big Little Lies on HBO, which is pretty good. Lots of big names-Reese Witherspoon, Nicole Kidman, Shailene Woodley. A show I thought was really funny was the Santa Clarita Diet on Netflix. Now this one is a zombie one, where Drew Barrymore is a real estate agent who turns into a zombie. I thought it was really funny, but gory too.

• cacocobird
    7 years ago

I watch a few shows on TV --- NCIS, NCIS:New Orleans, Blacklist, Criminal Minds, This is Us -- glad it's being renewed, The Americans -- Season 5 started last week, Elementary. I enjoy the British shows too, and subscribe to Acorn, as well as watching them on PBS.

Some of the original Netflix shows have been good. Looking forward to the new season of Bosch on Amazon. I also have bought my favorite episodes on Amazon. Love re-watching them most of the time.

I have Amazon Prime, Netflix and Acorn. It's so nice to have all these options.

• sprtphntc7a
    7 years ago

ones i am watching now: Survivor, American Crime (starts tonight) watched the first two, excellent story lines and excellent acting. House of Cards, Orange is the new Black, Ink Master, RHofBH ( i know but its mindless). will watch March Madness, just great basketball.!!....This Is Us, very good but last episode was predictable and if Kate blames herself because she told her dad to go see her mom, i am going to be disappointed and i probably won't watch for much longer. feel like the dialogue and story lines are getting predictable. sad that they killed off randall's dad so soon, what a great character and actor.... Scandal

shows i would watch again: 24, Mad Men, American Dreams (so good Caseyfeld!), west wing.. i am sure there;s more....love modern family, golden girls, cheers, malcolm in the middle, everybody hates chris, everybody loves raymond, seinfeld...

want to watch on Netflix: breaking bad, veep, weeds, homeland (hope its on netflx),

little creepy but liked The Following with kevin bacon. James Purefoy was excellent and worth watching just for him..... i think it was 2-3 seasons...

• User
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

The list of network shows worth watching seems to shrink with every season. Used to love Big Bang Theory, but it's been on the decline the past couple years. I'll watch reruns and laugh & laugh, but the laughs are few and far between on the newer shows. Good writing can only last so long.

I still watch Modern Family, Grey's Anatomy, The Blacklist, Nashville, and How to Get Away With Murder. Have enjoyed This is Us, but not crazy about the Kevin character. American Crime returns tonight. That's been an impressive series. We'll see what the 3rd season brings. For simple entertainment I like Dancing With the Stars and Survivor.

ETA: Also looking forward to the return of House of Cards! LOVED The Following!

• Jasdip
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Oh, we also really like The Catch with Peter Krause. I just remembered a light-hearted detective show that's aired in Toronto..... Private Eyes.

Chisue, I just looked up The Last Tycoon, and it only has one episode, in 2016. Is it still aired? I LOVE Matt Bomer and he's in it, as is Kelsey Grammer.

Casey, we'll give American Dreams a shot, thanks.

• lisa_fla
    7 years ago

Long Lost Family is a feel good show. Its about people looking for family they were separated from thru adoption. I love it!

• anoriginal
    7 years ago

I JUST watched the first episode of "This is Us" on-demand! I know what MY viewing is gonna be until I catch up!

• randy427
    7 years ago

All 37 years of Last of the Summer Wine.

• chisue
    7 years ago

Jasdip -- DH tells me we saw the *pilot* of The Last Tycoon last fall and that Amazon says more is "coming soon". I think I've seen *too many* series; they are all merging in my poor brain. Tycoon and the movie Cafe Society are both set in Hollywood in the 1930's.

Did anyone see a Canadian series, Intelligence? There was another, also set in Vancouver... Da Vinci's Inquest. These were terrific.

• lily316
    7 years ago

Started watching American Crime tonight. I've watched the other two. I like the show, don't love it. I like ABCs Thursday night but don't like The Catch. Too cutesy for me. Like Grey's and Scandal although that's getting too predictable. One of my long time favs are Law and Order and Criminal Minds. >>On This Is Us, I think William will be making appearances as does Jack thru the decades. I didn't think Jack died so young but it appears he's killed in a car crash. I even got my husband to watch it. He started because the guy for Castle is on it.

• Cherryfizz
    7 years ago

I stopped watching US network dramas quite a few years ago but I do watch something like Foyles War on TVO or Heartbeat. Coronation Street Rick Mercer, This Hour has 22 Minutes, The Big Bang Theory, Amazing Race Survivor and British Historical Docs but mostly on YouTube. Love Life in Pieces. I like watching shows that make me laugh or shows that make me think or learn something. My tv is rarely on most days but as I said I watch things on YouTube. My favourite thing on YouTube to watch right now is videos of Metal Detecting videos from the UK or the US or British archaeology docs or the Who Do You Think You Are series from the UK and Australia.

• aok27502
    7 years ago

On Netflix, Cedar Cove with Andie McDowell is a feel-good show. She's a judge in a small town, it's mostly about falling in love and the little things in life. Andie McDowell is a little plastic, but about the most violence you'll see is when she falls off her bicycle.

• Bluebell66
    7 years ago

I watch many of the ones listed here while I sew or cook. I've also watched Big Love lately - not gritty, but more of a soap opera about a polygamist family in Utah. I'm not going to say it's the best thing I've ever seen, but it's interesting and sort of addicting. I also have watched Home Fires, which I don't think I noticed listed above.

I also used to like American Dreams several years ago. Along those same lines was Brooklyn Bridge, which is about a boy growing up in 1950's (I think) NYC, but I haven't checked to see if it is available on Netflix. It may have only been on for a season or two, but it was a sweet, wholesome program.

• User
    7 years ago

I started making my husband watch Netflix and CraveTV more because I'm so over police shows. We've watched all of Dr Who, Cheers, Frasier and are caught up on Riverdale (I have exciting news about that show coming up soon!), and Outsiders. We are now watching Last Man Standing. For some reason I never watched it because I thought it was a stand up comedy show! It's on Netflix. I'm kind of watching the new One Day At A Time, but don't understand why the show uses the old shows name. Yes, both moms are single, but neither has the same job or friends. Oh well, not the best show on Netflix, but it's not a cop show.

• socks
    7 years ago

I've been watching "When Calls the Heart" on Netflix, many episodes. It's a Hallmarky kind of thing but worth watching. After suffering through La La Land and then Manchester by the Sea, I was ready for it.

• lily316
    7 years ago

Forgot I do watch all Survivors and Amazing Race and yes, the Bachelor.

• cacocobird
    7 years ago

I also enjoy a couple of very old shows. Have Gun:Will Travel has held up very well. So has 77 Sunset Strip.

• Marilyn Sue McClintock
    7 years ago

Very few of the shows listed on here are what I would call feel good shows! My husband watches a lot of regular television re runs, all the westerns, but I do not have time to watch. I almost never watch television in the day. I do like a few in the evening and night, some cooking shows, As Time Goes By, A Place To Call Home, and would watch others from BBC if they were on here. You would think I would like to watch more television because as a child in or around 1948 we were the first to have television out in the country, had no inside bathroom but we had a television. My Dad started repairing them and then he started selling them. He used to repair radios in days of old. I would much rather read or color or embroider instead of watching television, now if something catches my eye, I would watch it.

Sue

• DawnInCal
    7 years ago

Code Black, Chicago Med, Chicago Fire, Antiques Roadshow, America's Got Talent, Britain's Got Talent, Chopped, Cutthroat Kitchen (not sure that's on anymore as I haven't seen it in the listings for quite sometime) and old re-runs on TVLand (current line-up is Mash, Andy Griffith and Everyone Loves Raymond)

• chisue
    7 years ago

DH says Home Fires resumes April 2. Midwife comes up again about then, too. Both PBS. (I may have 'had it' with Midwife...we'll see.)

lisa_fla -- I've 'lived' the adoption search and reunion in real life with hundreds of birth and family and adult adoptees. I co-led Truthseekers in Adoption in Chicago for over a dozen years. I should watch to see if it's realistic. There are a lot of people who don't even want to remember that an adoptee has two sets of parents.

• User
    7 years ago

as far as "feel good" shows I don't know of any. I do enjoy When calls the heart and the inspirational type. Looking forward to Grace & Frankie.

• User
    7 years ago

"Miranda", which is on Hulu now. Was on Acorn.

The Clinic is another great, soap-y drama that will suck you in.

The Detectorists

Trivia

• OutsidePlaying
    7 years ago

I don't know too many 'feel good' shows these days. Some that are listed and some that I watch I don't really consider 'feel good'. I do think 'This is Us' comes close, and I watch 'Amazing Race' for the entertainment and because somebody wins. Can't stand Survivor because I don't think anyone really feels good there.

• beaglenc
    7 years ago

Please don't laugh and shake your heads. I like the Walton's on INSP. HGTV has some good ones and Texas Flip and Move on DYI, but NCIS is my fave.

• sjerin
    7 years ago

I'm one of those sad people who likes old sitcoms from the 60's, 70's and 80's. Some are really stupid and I give those a miss, but others have such gentle humor.

• User
    7 years ago

I also notice few funny movies anymore. When I'm in the mood to rent a movie, there's so little to pick from (streaming) new releases.