SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
desertdance

UC Davis ID Tags Faded

I received my cuttings first of April, and because many were too long for my rooting containers, I cut pieces of the tops that had a couple buds, laid them in a 1 1/2" trench outside with loose soil on top. I marked the rows with the UC Davis ID tag. HUGE mistake!!

I was overjoyed to walk out and see a grapevine that came up yesterday. One day nothing, the next day a vine! This morning another one popped up! I expect the figs to do the same soon. The ID tag faded in the sun and sprinkler, and I have no clue now what variety is growing, so ultimately I will have a bunch of mystery figs, vines, and pomegranates.

The cuttings in the dirt took longer than the ones in the house and I'm sure they have roots, and the ones in the house don't all have roots (some do for sure), so I'm glad I tried both methods.

As they mature, I should be able to tell what they are by their leaves, because their cuttings in perlite/peat in the house are marked well, so I'll be trying to match leaf patterns. In a few years, their fruit will ID them too.

I suggest if you have UC Davis ID Tags outside, write on them with permanent marker before they fade!

Comments (10)