SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tessiess

Diversity to Help Bees, +Roses

I listened to this program on the radio earlier this year and thought it was really interesting. I want to do my part to help save the bees. When the biologist providing the information started talking about roses, my ears really perked up. The transcript is online at the link provided--as is the radio program itself.

Here's an excerpt, with the rosy connection, biologist and bee expert Laurence Packer interviewed on Fresh Air by Dave Davies:

"PACKER: Well, I like raspberries for a bunch of reasons. One, I like eating raspberries. But the other two groups of reasons are that the flowers are open flowers and just about bee can access the pollen and so there's quite a diversity of different bee species that will visit the raspberries in my backyard. And also the raspberry canes are perfect for a large number of stem and twig nesting bees to use as a nest site. So I leave the old raspberry canes out in my garden for years and I've got three different genera of bees nesting in them. So in general if you're going to plant plants for ornamentation or for food, ones with simpler, open flowers are better. If you like growing roses - the wild roses - these are an open source of food. It's like a plate with the pollen in the middle, easily accessible. You look at most of the horticultural variety of roses and it's almost impossible for a bee to burrow into the flower to try to find anything in the middle of it because all the petals are so clustered so close together. So the simpler the flower in the general the greater diversity of bees that can use it.

DAVIES: And you provide a more abundant food source, you'll have a more robust bee population. You also say you can provide nest sites for bees. How do you do that?

PACKER: Well, I get into trouble with horticulturists by saying this - because I say you shouldn't use mulch. Most bees nest in the ground and you wouldn't like it if somebody tipped a compost - garbage truck full compost on top of your home and bees don't like it either. So most bees prefer sparsely vegetated soil. So lot's of gardens in my neighborhood, they put woodchips or gravel or some other such stuff over the surface of the garden or they grow a lawn and these are pretty barren for bees. There are a few bees that will build a resin nest on stones but they're pretty rare and they usually are only found in deserts. There are some bees that nest in gardens. And in Europe there are whole pest-control companies dedicated to removing burrowing bees from people's lawns. But in general if you want to help the bees have the kind of garden that your neighbors will be irritated at you for having because it looks kind of messy."

Wild roses with their simple flowers are "like a plate with the pollen in the middle". I've noticed that my wild roses are frequently visited by bees. They seem to absolutely love Rosa californica and Rosa minutifolia (bees on these flowers often look drunk and even roll and tumble about the bloom--it looks as if they are trying to cover themselves in this particular pollen).

Not using mulch is going to be controversial. I don't use it very often and yet my roses are doing fine, and my garden is teeming with many different kinds of bees.

Melissa

Here is a link that might be useful: Biologist Says Promoting Diversity Is Key To 'Keeping The Bees'

Comments (25)

Sponsored
Integrity Woodworking Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry Professionals