SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jody_gw

Reputations Ruined - RMV

jody
16 years ago

How many roses have had their reputations ruined because all the available clones are virused?

I love orange roses and the combinations like Playboy. In my very first rose garden I planted Joseph's Coat on an arch with Playboy as its companion. I loved the blooms, but JC was never very robust. It was sooo obviously virused and I had been learning about RMV. So when I was desperately saving roses after the divorce I just left JC.

You must admit, it has a reputation, BS prone, difficult, doesn't bloom all that well --- you see that stuff on this forum every time someone asks about it.

When Heirloom offered JC virus indexed, I remembered how it looked and ordered one right away. You know how little Heirloom's roses are....it looked really pitiful when it was planted next to its side of the climber support.

I have seen few roses grow as rapidly. It went over the top of the support (DH says 7.5') by the end of May and the silly thing has bloomed right through the drought. It has two new basals right now - I guess no one told it you can't make basals in the heat and drought. On top of that, its been almost perfectly clean. It blooms more in the cooler spells, but it has just kept growing and blooming the whole summer. During August it was the ONLY rose in bloom.

Its in the east garden which is still under construction - not the best soil as yet and its on a four sided support with Autumn Sunset, Westerland and Buff Beauty. I keep thinking its lack of vigor and part of its reputation may well be due to the fact that the commercially available clones are all virused. Once you get a healthy clone, you have a whole different set of behaviors, much more robust and rewarding rose.

It still has wicked thorns - sliced my palm wide open the other day trying to tie a new basal to the support.

I've seen the same thing with the Peace and Chicago Peace roses. I tried 5 clones of Peace before I bought the one from Heirloom. The difference is night and day.

Comments (45)

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES