SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
memrys

forestfarm and other internet ordering adventures

merlin
11 years ago

Eight more conifers arrived from forestfarm late yesterday. The plants are in great shape, even after four days in a carton on a UPS truck, and seem quite large for #1 size (see photo below).

My experience dealing with Ray has been wonderful. He responds to my emails and questions very quickly, and dealt with a wrong plant having been shipped in clear and responsible fashion. In fact, he did not even ask that it be returned!

Unfortunately, dwarf conifers are not his speciality, so the selection is somewhat limited. I recently ordered 13 plants from Western Evergreen, and will see what they look like when they arrive on the 14th.

Jason, unlike Ray, took a very long time to respond to most of my emails, and to even acknowledge my order. I almost gave up on him twice!

I also tried to order some plants from Coenosium, after having received Bob's book. Sad to say, none of my emails got a response, and I even used a contact form at dave's garden in case messages from my personal acoount bounced. I also tried telephoning them three times, and never got through.

My experience with online ordering from Conifer Kingdom was a nightmare. Even to get plants into the shopping cart required two or three attempts, and when I tried to checkout, all of the textbox forms were black type on a black background, so I was typing blind and could not fix errors.

But I persevered, only to have my order rejected three times! To be fair, when I complained they offered to take my order over the phone (on my nickel, of course!) and give a 10% discount, but I am not interested in supporting a company that makes it impossible to use their online shopping cart.

I have also been in contact with Don Howse. When I finally get a response to my emails they are very useful and informative, but the process moves slower than a glacier!

I am still looking for some cultivars that I have not found elsehwere (e.g. Picea omorika 'Wodan'- Picea pungens 'Glauca Procumbens' - Pinus parviflora âÂÂMiyajima' -Pinus parviflora 'Pygmy Yatsubusa' - Pinus parviflora 'Regenhold' - Pinus parviflora 'Tanima no uki'), so if someone can point me towards a responsive and responsible online source, I would be grateful.

Comments (14)