SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dcsteg

Looking back, going forward

dcsteg
12 years ago

As I digress back to 5-20-of this year when I posted my thread Spring time montage, see link, I was ready for show time. Everything looked great. Little did I know what was ahead. The oppressive heat and drought began mid June and didn't let up till late August was really a stressful time. Screening, $265.00 a month water bills could not save many of my conifers. Added to that weeds in the order of Prostrate Spurge and Oxalis were in epidemic proportions. Never had I had to deal with this before. Also, most dwarf deciduous trees with leaf burn an most companion plants showing stress. Forget the Hostas...much leaf burn.

Losses:

Picea g. 'Cecilia'

Picea m. 'Auerovariegata'

Picea o. 'Pendula'

Picea a. 'Henrych'

Picea o. 'Peve Tijn'

Pinus s. 'Sea Urchin'

Pinus c. 'Pygmaea'

Pinus s. 'Pendula'

Picea m. 'Ericoidies'

Picea g. 'Echinformis'

Picea o. 'Tom Thumb Gold' on standard.

Picea g. 'Burning Well' on standard.

Picea p. 'Pali' on standard.

Pinus s. 'Calle' on standard.

There are others that should be listed but were not recorded. Of the 5 on standards I got from Bob only one survived Picea o. 'Professor Langner'. A great loss and disappointment to me.

Since last August most plants have stabilized and screening is removed. Although we are still experiencing drought conditions moisture is adequate below ground level.

I have now begun to rebuild. New conifers added are...

Cham. o. 'Golden Sprite'

Pinus p. 'Cleary'

Picea p. 'The Blues'

Cedrus a. 'Aurea Robusta'

Cham. o. 'Nana Lutea' on standard.

Pinus mugo 'Dolly's Choice'. That one planted yesterday and shown in photo.

{{gwi:806880}}

Foliage.

{{gwi:806881}}

Conifers on order for April 2012.

Picea omorika 'Blue Sky'

Cham.o. 'Butter Ball

Cham o. 'Chirimen'

Cham. p. 'Tsukumo'

Picea a. 'Farnsburg'

Picea a. 'Vermont Gold'

Picea e. 'Blue Magoo'

I know others have suffered as much or more then me. They say for my area once every 28 years. I won't loose any sleep over that. Mother nature rules. That's to be expected and you just deal with it.

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: Spring time montage

Comments (5)

Sponsored
WhislerHome Improvement
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Franklin County's Committed Home Improvement Professionals