SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
karolina11_gw

What am I doing wrong?

Karolina11
10 years ago

Hello all,
First time conifer owner here. I am definitely enjoying the experience. However, out of the few orders I have planted, I have a struggling plant and I am not quite sure what I am doing wrong. I think it is experiencing transplant shock but I am not sure why it is still declining where everything else is doing fine. Your experience and thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

It is a Arborvitae 'Rheingold Globe.' It came from Evergreen Nursery along with other great plants. It is the only one struggling.

Background -
I am in zone 6b in Central Pennsylvania.
It was planted on September 6, 2013.
We have averaged 74F during the day and in the 50s at night since then. However we have had two days in a row after the week that it was planted that were in the 90s.
Since planting we have received 1.5 inches of rain and I have watered upon planting and watered one more time last week. The rootball has been damp each time I have checked it.
The ph of my soil is 6.6 and it is deficient in potassium, calcium, magnesium, sulfur, zinc, copper, and boron. It is silty loam being composed of 30% sand, 58% silt, and 13% clay. I have not fertilized the plant.
It came crooked out of the box and I did not stake it originally hoping it would right itself after the shipping. When it became clear that it would not happen, it was showing signs of stress so I did not stake it in order not to move the rootball.

Here are the photos. Please let me know if I need to take photos of anything in particular. Yes, there is sod around the plant. My bed ends about three feet from it and instead of squeezing it in, I removed the sod in a spot and dug a hole and planted. I will be removing the sod around it at some point this week. It is not mulched as I am in the middle of large farmland and see rodents all over so I didn't mulch anything but the trees and wasn't planning to until November after all of the rodents have already found homes for the winter.

Thank you for your help!

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting