SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cristina_s37

Why Do I Grow Salads? What Am I Doing Wrong?

I have noticed a pattern in my annual containers. Most of the time, they get lots of foliage and little bloom. I would love so much to achieve that effect of plants covered in bloom but it never seems to happen. I tend to grow salads. Some examples:

Marigold grew so vigorous it is spilling out of the pot - but the blooms are sparse and small.

Rudbeckia in a raised bed for cutting flowers never even bothered to bloom ONCE. Huge salad.

Vincas barely bloom.

Lantanas grew strong foliage and stopped blooming, I had to trim it and deadhead it.

It is planted in a large container around a rose, which maybe it shouldn't have been, because it has probably received more water and fertilizer than it needs.

I later read lantana wants some mistreatment and neglect - and placing it next to a fussy, posh lady like the rose is not exactly doing it any favors.

So what am I doing wrong? Do I fertilize too much? Or with the wrong fertilizer? Are they getting too little sun on my deck?

I am in the Atlanta area, they face East and the ones on the upper deck usually get direct sun until about 2pm, those on the lower deck more.

Maybe that's still not enough for annuals - do they need even more sun?

I also read annuals in containers benefit from liquid fertilizer once a week.

So I have done so, sometimes less often, but it is clearly doing something because the salad gets so big - yet the blooms are sparse.

I follow a You Tuber (GardenAnswer) who works with Proven Winners and she swears by their water soluble fertilizer once a week. Of course she does, she advertises for them. Then again, she also had proof in the pudding. She showed these enormous Supertunias Vista Series (Snow Drifit) literally drowning in bloom and I was jonesing for that look.

I decided to get them and do exactly as she advised, including the Proven Winners fert. I paid more for these plants than they are worth.

Never mind the N in that fert is significantly higher than the P and the K - so how is that good for bloom? But she said it's working really well for blooming, so I went with her recommendation and used it on other annuals too.

Despite doing exactly what she did, my Supertunias grew leggy and are nowhere as compact and covered in bloom as hers were.

Mine at their best (meh).

Hers:

At some point, mine got so leggy that I couldn' stand it anymore and gave them a haircut. Now they're salad, like most of my other annuals, waiting to grow back some bloom. They will, but in the meantime, I am wasting nice summer days with no flowers on the upper deck, which is very visible from the kitchen where I enjoy looking at beautiful bloom outside.

Now I suffer from Supertunia Envy. Go figure. They have pills for all sorts of psychological states these days, I bet they'll soon come up with one for envy too. LOL.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you so much!

Comments (8)