SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
midwest_dave

rfwp

midwest_dave
14 years ago

Ugh, what a long haul, thankfully I decided against making the round trip in one day. Spent about 3.5 hours on the road Sunday, stayed the night in Woodstock Sunday, few hours at RFWP on Monday and then the 4 hour drive home (slower with trees in the back). No cruise control and bench seats in a single cab small pickup.

Definitely worth every minute of driving pain! Although I didn't make an appointment, I did call last week to check availability and talked a bit about driving up. They knew exactly who I was when I got there and had taken notes when talking to me on the phone. I was impressed. Rich was at the farm when we got there so we spent 2 hours walking around with Todd. After seeing it all I was dumbfounded, probably looked like a possum in the headlights. I did finally get some stuff tagged and we spent probably 30 minutes looking for the 4 Pinus sylvestris 'Gold Coin' that inventory listed in the wrong spot (imagine looking for 4 trees in amongst hundreds, if not thousands!). I was in the office checking out and talked with Susan for awhile, got loaded up with brochures to various botanical gardens and arboretums (enabling). She got on the radio, "We got another Dax referral here". In comes Rich and we talk about what I got today, what I'm getting next time, and when I can come back to see the farm. Definitely good people.

Pinus contorta 'Taylor's Sunburst'

{{gwi:805443}}

Pinus strobus 'Niagra Falls'

{{gwi:805444}}

Pinus leucodermis (heldreichi) 'Mint Truffle' - (why do we list leucodermis if it's heldreichi now, just a legacy name or will it get dropped after awhile?)

{{gwi:805445}}

Pinus sylvestris 'Gold Coin'

{{gwi:805446}}

After the 4 hour ride home on its side the soil had slid to one side exposing this. Looks like I should scrape away some more soil and cut it out, carefully.

{{gwi:804530}}

Temperatures have been wonderful here lately, 70's during the day, 50's at night. Going to pickup a load of mulch tonight after work and start in on the planting this week.

I guess this is it, no turning back now.

MWD (lotsa Dave's here)

Here is a link that might be useful: RFWP

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations