17 years ago

1 yard mulch

2.25 yards Haydite

0 Perlite

0 wheelbarrow

2 chopsticks

1 sore back.

Hi All,

Well I finally got all my trees out of the fridge and into containers this weekend (only a month late). What a mess it was. I had a friend who was going to let me borrow his pickup truck to move a yard of Haydite. He ended up being unavailable. I bought five 3 cu ft Rubbermaid totes and having the nursery dump the Haydite into them. I then drove them home in my Honda Accord. I then used a 2 gallon bucket to scoop the Haydite into five gallon buckets which I carried to the backyard (I was too stupid to buy a wheelbarrow or a garden cart). I then moved a yard of mulch to the backyard. I got 32 trees potted on Saturday. Sunday morning I woke up and drove back to the nursery for the other half of the Haydite (another five totes full carried to backyard in 5 gallon buckets). I potted up the remaining 30 trees and fertilized the yard.

My mix was suppose to be 1:1:1 Haydite, Perlite, Mulch... However, the place where I had Perlite being held for me decided to sell it. None of the nurseries close to my house has more than one (if even that) large bag of Perlite. So I was out of luck. It certainly would have lightened my load by quite a bit. Instead I went with a 3:2 Haydite, Mulch mix. Also, as I mentioned, I was too stupid to buy a wheelbarrow or a nursery cart. I mean, come on I only do this once a year, right??? By calculation, each of those totes would have weighted about 130 lbs if the Haydite had been dry, but it wasn't.

Yesterday was relatively pain free... today it hit me. My back and shoulders are so sore. I'll have to take a couple of Tylenol and then get to work on potting up my cuttings. LOL The pain we endure for our figs.

~james

Comments (5)