SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
janetgia

The amazing ever-changing possibly final grand master plan

janetgia
14 years ago

'Morning all! You might remember from some of my posts that we just moved into a new house last fall, where I don't really have a "cottage garden" just yet. I spent some time yesterday thinking and planning, and came up with the plan shown below. (Please excuse the rudimentary, not-to-scale drawing skills - LOL!) This is a plan that I am planning to work on over the next few years, to create my long-time dream (carried over from our old house) of having a walk-through garden. This plan is laid out in our side yard, which is visible from our screened-in porch. Here area a few notes:

1. Areas 5,6 & 7 will make up one large perennial bed shaped like a bulbous leg/foot. 6 & 7 already exist as my lone perennial bed. I plan to add Area 5 yet this year. I am thinking "drifts of color" in this area. The X's across the back represent a line of blue spruce trees that screen the yard from the neighboring property.

2. Areas 3 & 4 will be bean-shaped beds with roses flanking the path and other plants in the rest of each bed.

3. Speaking of paths, they'll be grass - at least for now. I think they'll be less work in the beginning, since the lawn already exists, but I may change them in the future. In addition to the grass walkways, there will be stepping stone paths in all the beds (samples in areas 6-7) to allow easier access to the plants.

4. Areas 2a and 2b are low-height borders. I am thinking "annuals from seed" in these areas.

5. Area 9 will have some seating; area 8 will be a feature of some sort (bird bath or something).

I have a long list of plants (which oddly enough did NOT include the six I happened to buy yesterday at a big-box store - how did THAT happen??) and am trying to think about height, bloom time, etc., but that gets overwhelming so I think I will just focus on sun/water requirements and try to place stuff where it will do well, and maybe move it around later :)

I would welcome any thoughts you all might have about this, in terms of things I should be sure to add, plants I should try, colors or color combinations you love, etc. I'm so excited to get started!!

{{gwi:686930}}

Comments (29)

Sponsored