SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
annafl_gw

Changing the world, one veggie garden at a time!

annafl
14 years ago

My veggie garden is providing very modest yields on a daily basis. In the last ten days we've had broccoli and green beans three times each, two squash, some collards, and tonight I used some arugula for the first time this year! I know this is little compared to many of you, but I've got to say how proud I am that I am sticking with this veggie gardening thing better than other years. This is in a large part due to all of you who have inspired me with your pictures and your knowledge. It is also in a big way inspired by (in the last couple of years) becoming more aware of the severe shortcomings and even the integrity of our food supply. My New Year's resolution last year was to try to eat locally as much as possible (locally grown foods from farmer's markets and stands, and patronizing family owned restaurants in my own community). In the last couple of years I've enjoyed reading several of Michael Pollan's books (Omnivore's Dilemma, In Defense of Food, The Botany of Desire), and a couple of other authors with similar messages and concerns. Tonight I saw the new video release, Food Inc.

I bring this up because up to now I've felt discouraged about the situation of being at the mercy of what the huge agribusinesses put in our grocery stores and not knowing what, exactly, is in the food I buy there. After this movie I feel empowered that my choices do count and will make a difference. That after all, as the movie pointed out, the tobacco industry, insanely powerful just a few years ago, is now much less powerful. Fifty percent of Americans used to smoke; it is now down to 20%. So the consumer can effect change, and with every veggie garden we have, and every decision to buy locally grown organic food, we are creating change inasmuch as the businesses will follow consumer demand to maximize their profits. So, see you guys are changing the world!

A big thank-you to all of you who have empowered me to try my luck at veggie gardening. I am thinking about chickens now!

Comments (12)

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus