SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nutsaboutflowers

Compost and compost tea

nutsaboutflowers
14 years ago

I've been reading FAQ until I think I'm going cross-eyed.

We've had our compost pile for a total of 5 years now. I use all my grass clippings, fruit and vegetable scraps, and leaves. I keep some leaves in garbage bags over the winter so I can have some for layering before the next fall. The pile has sunk to about 4'x4'x4'.

In our zone the compost freezes solid in the winter. Also, our pile is big enough that it's impossible to stir.

Last year when we planted a new tree, we used some of our compost from the bottom of the pile, in the hole. This was the first time we'd used it. It wasn't crumbly like I've seen in videos. It was also somewhat layered looking, sort of like when you see an eroded cut out side view of a hillside on a nature program. I hope this is a description you can picture. It doesn't seem to be good compost with the layering (?)

Anyway, I was thinking of using a 5 gallon bucket, half full of water, and adding enough of my compost to make a watery mush. If I left it for a few days in the heat, wouldn't this make compost tea, or am I less knowledgeable than I think?

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations