SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
fernsk

Planning the tiny rose / cottage garden

fernsk
17 years ago

Hi all

I've really got "planting itch" so I am going to allow myself to indulge in major planning - besides Gardenscape is happening next weekend and the snow was melting in my backyard until we got more the day before yesterday. Anyway... I have a small backyard where I did extensive hardscaping last summer - new walkway, cement patio, lasagna over the existing lawn. I did plant 4 roses. 3 are in the bed that I will be hoping to work on this year. Lambert Closse, Praire Joy and a mystery rose that may be a Winnipeg Parks or a Quadra - it had the wrong tag on it. What I would like to figure out is what I can plant in with them. Do I really have to not plant anything within 3 feet of them? Does anyone have some good suggestions for shallow rooted plants? I've desided that I would like to plunk some asparagus about 3 ft from any of the roses and I had some really beautiful miniature delphiniums last year that had a feathery leaf and tiny blue flowers, also globe flower. I do want to put a Lily in but again it would be towards the area that there are no roses the same as a siberian iris. Any other good plants to go with roses on a small scale?

Fern

Comments (7)