SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lavender_lass

Best old-fashioned roses for cottage garden?

lavender_lass
14 years ago

After having limited success with hybrid teas (winters are too cold and summers are too hot) I've decided to try roses that will work well in a cottage garden. Since I'm going to have other flowers, roses that bloom only in May/June should be fine. I like Damasks, Albas and Rugosas, but which ones work well in a cottage garden setting? I want something with a fairly strong rose or damask fragrance that will play well with others and not get too big. I've got room for up to five feet tall and across, but don't want anything too invasive. I'm concerned Gallicas will be too invasive, what about rugosas?

Have had Therese Bugnet recommended, but would love to try Isaphan, La Ville de Bruxelles, Felicite de Parmentier and maybe a Queen of Denmark. I already have two Fantin Latours, but they were too small to bloom this year (just planted them this spring).

Also, what flowers would you recommend to plant with these roses. I have Lavender :) and some peonies I could move to this garden, but would love other ideas. Thank you so much for your input.

Comments (28)