SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
solstice98

Mosaic Wall - yet another garden project...

solstice98
17 years ago

Lots of people saw this project in it's very early stage when they were here for the summer solstice swap. I hadn't done any work on it for 4 weeks but picked up the tiles this past weekend and put in several hours. I've decided to post pictures just to keep myself going on it. When I started I was thinking in terms of how many days it would take to finish it... now I'm thinking in terms of months! But I'm still excited about it and think it could be pretty cool when it's done.

It's a wall in my patio that originally had cabinets, a refrigerator and a JennAire that never worked, and a sink. We replaced the sink 8 years ago when we moved in and tore out the rest a couple years ago. It faces west so it catches late afternoon sun which makes the glass buttons sparkle.

The potting bench and 'garden stuff' cabinet found a home here after we took out the old rotting outdoor kitchen. Yes, it's almost always this messy so I'll be moving it to the other side of the lanai where it's not quite so visible all the time!

First I edged the area with teal colored tiles that match the tiles around the pool. Then I sketched out the spiral pattern directly onto the wall.

Gray tiles make up the bucket right under the sink connection. I used a real bucket handle from a kitty litter container.

After placing some of the glass buttons, I started breaking the white tiles and fitting them in. NOT a very fast process!

As of Sunday July 23rd. Lots done this weekend!

A detail of one of the spirals:

Comments (35)