SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
whaas_5a

If you've planted confiers...

whaas_5a
12 years ago

Curious what you think about these comments regarding the planting of new container grown conifers. The source will go anomonyous (likely a business you've never heard of) just curious what everyone thinks.

I would respectfully suggest not tinkering with the roots your new plants my friend. I want them to work well for you. They will be less likely to survive their introduction and slower to establish and there is nothing to be gained for landscape plants. Only Bonsai specimen are aesthetically helped that way if done carefully and at the right time.

The plants will go where the food and water is. If roots happen to be twisted or close together (as also occurs in nature as well as the container) they will fuse and spread to the resources on their own while the less productive root areas will spread more slowly or not at all. Branches go where the sun is. Roots go where their needs are. They really don�t need us. By disrupting the fine feeding feeding hairs on the entire root mass in order to spread them out the water and food supply is cut off. it is more likely to shock, desiccate, die or stop growing for the season. We disrupt those plants that may be bound just enough to facilitate new root production but not nutrient and water uptake. We remove enough soil on younger less bound ones to facilitate shipping but not harm the plant. Per the instructions plant the bag with the plant and then remove it. Use mulch. That provides a good environment for growth and healing.

Girdling is something that may be an issue on large aged specimens grown in large containers for years. Even then I doubt it is less a real issue than one of appearance. Roots will crawl across the ground and shatter concrete asphalt and rock to get what they need. They will lift homes and shatter foundations plug sewers and on and on. They get in the way of the trunk and the trunk will absorb them. That is how a trunk gets bigger. It occupies space the roots did when younger.

Comments (10)