SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
annafl_gw

Locally grown

annafl
16 years ago

One of my New Year's resolutions is to try to support local businesses as much as possible, and in particular, locally grown food. I have had a difficult time trying to get someone at Publix and Sweetbay to pay any importance to my intent. I know it is difficult for their corporate headquarters, frequently far away, to pay attention to local sources. However, my request has been to put some kind of a sticker or sign to alert the consumer to products they already sell that come from local sources (i.e. Plant City strawberries, zucchini, peppers, etc.). Apparently, they have to go through corporate to ok this. Corporate has not payed much attention to my emails, except to placate me, and I expect that the managers don't see this as much priority. I have been disappointed at how little the managers know about where their products come from. It would take time for them to familiarize themselves to all this.

Anyway, in my disappointment at getting nowhere, I finally made it to the downtown Farmer's Market. What a joy! I found a stand from a local family-owned organic farm with beautiful produce and bought a bunch of stuff for the week. I bought OJ from a local grove. I bought apple bread from an elderly couple that sells homemade baked goods to supplement their fixed income. I saw locally made soaps, candles, crafts, honey (I'm thinking Christmas presents for next year). Local nurseries were represented. Of course, there were also stands with produce that was not local, and other stuff from far away, but at least the benefits went to those in our own community.

I plan to go back as often as I can make it. I have started thinking more about how to support those local businesses in my area instead of big box stores. Sadly, there are not many left. I keep thinking about it and trying to find as many as I can identify.

Do any of you think about this? How do you support your local businesses and economy? Please give me ideas as to how I can get better at this. I am tired of all the trucks from California bringing citrus to us, and all the semis on the road going to Walmart, HD, etc. I'm trying to think more locally now.

Comments (11)

Sponsored
Fine Designs & Interiors, Ltd.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Columbus Leading Interior Designer - Best of Houzz 2014-2022