SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chester_grant

Half Dead - is not 'Dead' according to a Greenwich CT nursery.

chester_grant
15 years ago

I bought $6,000 of trees (Hemlocks and two NS) from a nursery and picked out the trees myself - they were planted at the back of my property. After I placed the order it turned out I would have a gap in a planting at the front of the property so I called up and asked if they had two more 6/7footer NS. Big mistake - NEVER take trees you have not selected yourself.

Well those two they threw in had dead leaders and surrounding tops - I complained and the nurseryman came over and snipped off the leaders and said that as there was green inside the bark the trees were fine. Well those two trees remaining leaders and side branches never produced viable candles and the tops are even more brown so there are no side branches to take over. Plus the sides are shedding needles and have lost half their "green".

Get this - the nurseryman says they only guarantee a dead tree and that these trees are only half-dead and will recover! (Of course by next year when they are 100% dead the guarantee wont be honored as it will be over a year). The other trees in that particular line at the front - from a different nursery - are fine and all been watered the same amount. I suggested if the two bum NS are "fine" then they could dig them up and they could put them back in the nursery for sale to customers!

Any suggestions?

Comments (2)

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!