SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
newyorkrita

Rudbeckia hirta - So much prettier than Goldstrum.

newyorkrita
13 years ago

I have been looking on line at Rudbeckias or black eyes susans as I used to call them. I used to have Glodstrum but I yanked it out as I didn't like it. I also had Rudbeckia hirta Indian Summer, buying plants one year and then they self seeded for years after. Lost them all in the garden redos around here.

So I have been thinking on what type of black eyed susan to bring back to the garden. Do you know there are all these fancy R. hirta varies these days? Indian Summer used to be the fancest I knew about but now there is the red CHERRY BRANDY, fancy looking CAPPUCINO, my favorite CHEROKEE SUNSET and others.

Seems to me Goldsturms claim to fame is that it's perennial and not at all fussy. R. hirta is not perennial but self seeds like crazy. So I decided R. hirta is how I will go. My first choice was CHEROKEE SUNSET although I was considering others. I think I have to stick with only one type of them because I want it to self seed each year and don't want mutt hybred seeds. Plus they claim that CHEROKEE SUNSET is a breakthough and has a very long bloom period.

So today at the nursery they had all sorts of the blackeyed susans, all the ones I was interested in. Small starter plants in those little square pots. I bought 8 of the CHEROKEE SUNSET and am very pleased with myself :-))

They will go over in the area with the coneflowers just moveing the gardenbed area over more. The space is there, just not planted. This was my plan all along this spring.

Comments (31)

Sponsored