SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sah67

Rudbeckia hirta browning and shriveling up after blooming all summer

We planted this R. hirta 'Kelvedon Star' back in early May here in upstate NY (zone 5b). It's in a well-mulched south-facing bed that gets full sun for almost the entire day except for a few shady hours in the late afternoon and evening. Our soil is pretty heavy clay, but we amended this planting area with compost and tilled it pretty well when we excavated it last year.

The Rudbeckia took off growing like a weed soon after we planted it and it's been blooming tremendously all summer. Over the last week or two, I noticed the blooms starting to faded, which I figured was typical given that they've been going for nearly 2 months straight now. Now though, as you can see in the photos below, the whole plant seems to have just browned and shriveled up, with no healthy foliage or blooms visible anywhere.

Is this a disease issue? I know Rudbeckias are prone to several, but nothing else that's in the immediate vicinity of this plant (Coreopsis grandiflora, Echinacea, and Asclepias tuberosa) has been affected, and they're all very healthy and full.

Also: any suggestions on what to do next? Cut it down to the ground? Dig it up completely? Leave it alone?

Thanks!

Comments (6)