SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
plympton_ma

Thuja Green Giant as a 6' hedge?

plympton_ma
13 years ago

We're considering using Tsuja Green Giant, maintained at 6'-7' as a screen around a hot tub. It's an exposed location in full sun with sandy soil. It's an otherwise inhospitable location (with a great view) on a bluff overlooking the water, facing northeast. The site gets nailed every winter by wind and snow. Many otherwise hardy (for this area) plants just won't grow here i.e Delaware Valley White azalea, Catawbiense rhododendrons, etc.

Regarding ongoing maintenance. I want to spend my time IN the hot-tub---not pruning the hedge around it. Something about dwarfing a tree still troubles me.

Our landscape designer/plant person suggested GG as a soft, dense screen between a parking area and the spa. Because of the nor'easter snowstorms I get nailed by (in my exposed location), Green Giant was selected due to it's tendency towards a single leader.

I've been doing a fair ammount of reading and have only grown more uncertain; having flip-flopped several times between different cultivars and different species. So,I spoke with the horticulturalists at two famous nurseries in these parts and got two totally opposite opinions as to the suitability of GG---ugggh!

Any opinions on suitability of GG for this application?

Thanks!

Comments (19)