SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
firefightergardener

The Summer of two stories...

I've been wanting to get out and share more photos but it has been extremely unusual and near record breakingly wet/cool here still in the Pacific Northwest. Most years it's warm(70s and 80s) from July through the end of September but this year we have seen two days all year over 80 and this past three days the highs at my house near Seattle have been 62, 69 and so far only 59(!) today. In addition, it's rained 1.05 inches in the last 48 hours, which is DOUBLE our normal rainfall for the entire MONTH!

A good example of how unusual this weather is one of my softball tournaments, played the second week of July every year was rained out for the first time in it's 36 year history. Unusual indeed.

Meanwhile, slip across the Rockies and everywhere is broiling hot and many places are experiences record drought. According to the NWS, 14 states are now in the worst drought since they began recording weather, 1896!

Today, 40 states(almost all East of the Rockies) are due to see temps in the 90s and weather forcasts are for this high pressure and dry weather to continue for the next 3-5 days.

All of this could be normal(cyclyical things) or it could be climate change driven extremes. I lean towards the latter as most climate change scenarios put the PNW in a more cloudy/cool state and the inland states seeing much warmer temps.

The point of this post, of course, is simply a weather related discussion for conifer plantings and how it is affecting your plants.

Here, for example, many of my conifers are in slow motion status, while other plants that typically color in full sun are either dulled color or showing no sunshine-related colors at all.

Conifers for the most part seem to be fine with cooler temps, unlike many perennials. My poor cone flowers are trudging along and if we're lucky, MAY have blooms by August. Staggering the differences here in which I am sure coneflowers are blooming in June or even May across other parts of the country.

Some of my plants AREN'T enjoying the cool weather, as again most of my abies concolor specimens have a needle rust, generally associated with cool/moist conditions and I've lost three Pinus aristata specimens and two pinus ponderosa cultivars as well.

On the flip side, there's obviously no issues with watering, nor do I worry about tender specimens burning and many of my 'wet loving conifers', Larix, Coast Redwoods, Bald Cypress are probably loving the weather and extra water.

Sure wish we could trade a bit of rain for some of your sun(and heat), I'm sure you Midwesterners would trade in a heartbeat!

-Will

Comments (24)