SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
missylin_gw

Lot of Work and not finished, hope it will be okay

missylin
15 years ago

I had no idea how hard this would be to: dig 12 inch by 18 inch holes, then try to mix together half and half good soil I bought and my native soil, put the dirt in the hole, dig a little hole in that and make the mound for the roots, then realize the mound is too high, the plant will be higher than the flower bed. Dig the little hole in the big hole again, to make a new mound, oh, this one is too low, make it bigger, because there are so many roots and they are longer or bigger, place the plant on the little mound, cover the roots, just enough (I hope) finish putting soil in the hole, be sure not to get too much soil on the little daylily, as I continue to mix the Rockledge Gardens soil with the native soil (I hope the proportions are right) mix in a little black cow and put some milorganite by the roots, finish filling the hole, water a little but not too much..Whew! And the heat! When I got home from work on Friday it was still 92. Thinking that it would just be too hot for me (and the daylilies) to go in the ground at that heat I decided to wait til it was cooler. It was 7 pm when I started, because by then it was "only" 88 degrees or so, but at least the sun was not as bad. After starting to dig the first hole that size, I decided to call my friend's son and he agreed to dig the holes( I did the rest.) It was well after dark and I think we had only two planted. (There were a lot of places we started to dig and found huge tree roots. There were times he found big things of concrete he had to dig out (??) and one time a sprinkler pipe, so many times a hole had to be started again. R.J. had to leave (I think it was 9:00. So I brought the rest of the daylilies inside the garage and started again the next morning. We got maybe four planted before I had to get cleaned up for an appointment(I had half an hour to get cleaned and be at my appt.) I asked R.J. if he could dig more holes first, but he and his mom had dental appointments.) So we made some sort of long trenches and After I got back from my appointment (I was leaving town for Mother's Day in a couple of hours so I didn't have much time) I made little mounds for each plant in the trenches, right next to each other, and put each daylily on a mound, covered the roots with soil and watered them a little. Then I put on my sprinkler system to get them a little more water. I know it won't be too much water. I just hope they will be okay until I can plant them for real. I had no idea how much dirt each hole would take. And trying to figure out if it's the right mix of the two soils, etc. Wow! IF R.J. had not helped me dig the holes to start, I would have never finished even what we got done. One bed is very hard, and the other has a lot of thready roots that are difficult to dig through). We are getting rid of the roots etc. and putting the lilies in very good soil. The nursery where I got the soil said not to use just all of their soil, to mix it with my native. Sure would be easier (though more expensive) to just put in the bagged soil. I hope I am doing this right. When I get home tonight from taking my mom out, don't know if it will be light enough to do more planting. I wonder how long they can stay on their little mounds. Any idea? I hope I didn't mess this all up. Thanks for listening. Lin

Comments (18)