SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
eugenie11

Finished kitchen! Lots of pics and saga to share...

eugenie11
12 years ago

It was supposed to take two weeks, it took three months. To the bitter end, we were waiting for the shelves to be remade for the 'appliance depot' (love that concept!) because our contractor still hasn't picked up a tape measure. The shelves were finally delivered this week (only a week late!) and I wrote out the last payment. We are done!

Before:

Now here's the finished OTK:

To be fair about that OTK slur (marcolo, are you out there?), we kind of had an OTK from the beginning, at least in the white cabs, which we always planned to keep. They are old but well-made and perfectly functional. A few add ons from Bed Bath and Beyond - dividers for cookie sheets and cutting boards, a roll-out drawer for pan lids - and we were good to go. Okay, we don't have soft close. But we recycled! The cost to have new cabinets made would have taken up our entire budget - and was too wasteful for the frugal Yankee in me!

We redid the countertops (okay, okay, honed Black Absolute - but I love it!), including the island top (walnut), replaced the appliances, and we are guilty of putting in white subways, though they're hand-made and a little unusual. Honestly, by then I had decision fatigue. We stayed under budget. Almost half went to the appliances.

A million thanks to GardenWeb for helping me choose our appliances:

Subzero 36" bottom freezer - total love

Electrolux 27" double ovens - meh. Made-in-China shiny on the outside, don't love the styling, or how they bake, or the super complicated dashboard (nitpick: why is the Cancel button so close to the Start button?) Best thing I can say is they were affordable

Miele 36" induction cooktop - jump up and down with joy every time I cook (and I've burned plenty!)

Perrin and Rowe faucet - not worth $1,500. My cheap old faucet was better.

Blanco stainless sink 30 x 10 with grate - it's a sink. Very nice. Probably not worth it.

Top Knobs knobs and pulls - is there any other brand?

Miele dishwasher - retained from old kitchen - fabulous dishwasher, but at least ten years old, so I can't evaluate what they're making now

I had to buy all new stainless cookware, but I will post my recommendations on Appliances, not to take up even more space here.

Here is the Appliance Depot:

This was the only cabinet we custom made, and it took three tries to get it right, even though all the cabinet maker had to do was take a picture with his phone of the existing cabinets and copy them. I wish I had taken a picture of the first cabinet he made. Beautiful - but in whose kitchen? After the contractor fired him - second cabinet was even worse, and a month late - we had this one made, which - wouldn't you know it? - isn't as high quality as the first, but is perfectly functional, even if the doors are slightly off plumb (my personal curse).

Here is the island top:

I posted a lot of my unhappiness about this on GW a few months ago. We were told it was going to look like a 'beautiful dining room table.' That was before they forgot to measure for the overhang. When the top came back, it had one portion with six narrow planks, and another with two wide planks. I don't know any dining tables that look like that. The contractor said, "Oh, no one will notice." Do you? I do. But life is too short. I live with it.

This is one of the steel braces I had to ask for - that is, demand - after the overhang was installed without any support (probably because they totally forgot about it).

There were supposed to be three braces, somehow I only ended up with two. I never seemed to get what I asked for with my contractor. I got plenty of 'You really think you need support under there? Really?'

This is the sink run:

I love the honed Black Absolute. I read plenty of posts here about how high maintenance it is, but we have had zero problems with dust or stains. The sink splashes plenty and we wipe the counters down every night after doing the dishes, but we did that with the old Formica counters, too. I think the black and white looks sharp! OTK, anyone?

The worst part about the granite was that the contractor failed to level the base cabinets before installation and the sink run was definitely on a slant. Thank you to everyone on GW who answered my post, complete with a picture of my level resting on the counter, and encouraged me to stand firm. Don't let anyone tell you 'In a month you won't notice,' or 'You're using the wrong kind of level,' or 'It's your floors that are the problem.' Bottom line, I made him redo it. He didn't have to remove the granite - though he knew, by that point, that I would insist - but he did spend almost an entire day under the cabinet, making adjustments with an electric saw. I think he was as shocked as I was that he worked so hard, and got it right.

I know some people might think I'm a harda*s or a nitpicker or too demanding (those are my good qualities) and some might think my OTK is boring (I see your point, believe me, I wish I had more time to get creative) but for those of you who can benefit from my mistakes, or take advantage of the decisions I made, or just take heart that you'll get through it - that's exactly what I got coming here, many times over, from all the incredibly informative and entertaining (you know who you are!) posters on GW, so I'm happy to give back.

So thank you, all! I could go on (and on) but I don't want the distinction of having the longest finished kitchen post in history!

The kitchen is finished, but I'll check back in to see what's cooking. Happy New Year!

Eugenie

ps - here's how the kitchen looks IRL when it's not prepped for its close up

Comments (37)