SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cearbhaill

UK Dept. of Entomology wants to inspect plants I bought online

I am posting this in the 'Conifers' forum because I trust you guys and recall that many of you have purchased plants from Forestfarm.

I received a letter from University of Kentucky College of Agriculture/ Department of Entomology asking to come to my home and take leaf samples from plants I purchased from Forestfarm in April of this year. They site a recent inspection of Forestfarm by the Oregon Department of Agriculture that turned up positive results for Sudden Oak Death.

I know SOD is a terrible thing (and as a matter of fact I have lost two very old oaks in the past few years), so I am in no way averse to the inspection.
I am only wondering what exactly will happen once I let these people onto my property.
They state that they will only collect leaf samples. Some of these are very small plants- are they going to whack off entire portions or carefully remove a couple of leaves?
Has anyone else had this happen?

Can SOD be transmitted by plants not in the oak family?
The plants purchased were two Cornus kousa varieties, two Kerria japonica varieties, two Rhododendron varieties, and some Hakonechloa grasses.

Will they come back and remove any of my plants should a positive test result occur?
Would Forestfarm reimburse me should that occur?

Sorry to be a nervous nellie over this- I just want to know as much as I can know about the process.
Thanks for any experiences or insight anyone might care to offer.

Comments (18)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!