SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
amccour

Dawn Redwood growth questions.

amccour
15 years ago

Recently found a dawn redwood in town that's for sale and fairly cheap. They also have some bald cypresses there, but one's variegated and I don't find that particularly attractive, and the other ones are... some sort of cultivar with shorter, almost scale-like needles.

Anyway, I was wondering a few things. First, I've heard that you can remove the lower branches at an early age to sort of hedge in trunk expanion. The ropey look of the trunk is pretty neat, but I think I might have to do this for space reasons. Also, it looks like this has already been done to the tree I'm looking at, in any case. Or, do you tend to only get the really wide trunks if the soil's boggier, like with the bald cypresses?

Also, what shape do these trees grow in? I've seen, in pictures, some that have a more conical, pine-tree shape, some that look more cylindrical, and others that have a shape that I guess you'd associate more with non-coniferous trees, although still more apically dominant and kind of pointy. Is this a matter of pruning, environment, age, or just different cultivars?

Finally, reports I've gotten on height vary a lot -- I've seen anything from 40 foot max to 100+ foot max. I'm living in the northern-more extent of their growing range so I'm not expecting it to get huge, but how much can you trim these? Also, this wouldn't be a candidate for growing in a tub or something with yearly root pruning, would it? I think I've heard of a few people doing this, and I believe the one I'm looking at has been in a container for quite some time. I know they're deciduous and would have to be kept out year round, so definitely NOT a houseplant type thing, but just wondering if this would be an option.

Comments (18)