SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
newyorkrita

Here is what I am plotting for the daylily plateau.

newyorkrita
12 years ago

Here is an example of how I plot my bulb planting. Going to use the raised bed in the backyard I call the daylily plateau or just the plateau. It really looks smashing in the summer when the daylilies bloom. Plus up on the top section over the plateau in that smaller raised bed section directly next to the garage (my backyard neighbors garage) I plant zinnias and that gives me summerlong color. So for years I have been content with that but now I am working on my spring bulb plans. Honestly, afew tulips can be squeezed in just about anywhere. They don't multiply (in fact the opposite they decrease in volume year after year) so unlike daffs you don't need to worry about possible overcrowding and dividing.

The plateau is four rows of daylilies, two more in front and two more towards the back with a path in between the front and back sections going accross. So here is what I am going to do.

The 50 Come back tulips just ordered from Brent&Beckies are going in amoung the two back rows of daylilies. Those are red darwin tulips. Then 50 Jenny also just ordered from Brent&Beckies are going in amoung the front two daylily rows. Those are golden yellow early tulips. Then still to order from Scheepers is 200 of their Princely Single Early Tulip Mixture which will be planted thickly in the pathway between the front and back daylily section rows. Then at each end in the front curve I need some small bulbs to fill in like crocus or some sort of rock garden iris. All still thinking on that and it would not be lots of bulbs anyway.

The top terrace next to the garage needs to have the sections of daffodil row where there are no bulbs fixed and patched. I have picked out daffs to add there. In back of the back row of daffs will go a row of Dutch Iris, which will be blooming much later than the daffs so no conflict just another wave of bloom. Then I need to figgure out what tulips to add to the mid section between daff rows but haven't decided on a plan yet.

But this is how I plot things. Pictures of the Plateau now with no spring color!

{{gwi:686032}}

{{gwi:686034}}

{{gwi:686035}}

Comments (16)