SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ricksample

Style of Pergola?

ricksample
10 years ago

I'm getting my fall/spring project ready to go. I already have the beds designed on paper, this isn't an issue. This is the most important part of my design. My ultimate goal is to have total privacy from everything from this Pergola... including the view of my house. This will go towards the back of my property surrounded by conifers & other trees. I will also incorporate a grill, fire pit, and other stuff just so we can hang out and enjoy. If you remember originally, I was going to buy a Gazebo. But the cost of this built would be roughly $4,000... way out of my price range right now.

Regarding the Pergola... I have 3 options

1. Purchase a pre fabricated vinyl pergola from New England Arbors. Cost of this is $1,150

PROS: It's Vinyl and matches my New England Arbor perfectly. No maintenance. Has nothing but positive reviews. Looks the best and easier to install.
CONS: The posts are 4x4's, the beams are 2x4. The beams are hollow, but does have a 1x1 steel insert. Will sway if pushed or under high winds. Manufacture suggests hanging no potted plants from the structure or climbing vines.

2. I can build my own out of all wood. Cost of this would be $370

PROS: The Posts are 6x6. The beams are 2x8. I can have my climbing roses climb up to create additional shade and for added appearance.

CONS: Made of wood, would require staining and possibly replacing of boards down the road.

3. Build it myself with Vinyl sleeves over the posts
This has everything that option 2 has, but will cost $650

Comments (4)