SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lzrddr

Heat and Arid tolerant Conifers

lzrddr
10 years ago

I am relatively new to Conifers, something sort of forced upon me by my moving out of Los Angeles where I could grow all sorts of fascinating palms and succulents, to a place still in Los Angeles county but in the high desert where the number of species that can survive is but a minute fraction of what I used to be able to grow. I see a number of conifers here though the variety is limited... however, just because no one is growing something in this area, does NOT mean it can't grow here... I learned that in my last home where I grew thousands of species no one else seemed to be growing and all were perfectly easy.

I am hoping I can find some different and interesting conifers that will survive a climate of extremes (highs 110F and lows around 10F with constant wind and 0 percent humidity). Soils are shallow and extremely barren. Anything other than Junipers and Italian Stone PInes I might consider? It seems the high, dry heat is the biggest limitation when growing conifers (learned that in Los Angeles where many many species will not thrive). But this is even worse. However, it is also way colder here, so a lot of what I could grow in LA may not be possible here (Araucarias? Agathis? Weeping Blue Cedars? ).

Comments (11)