SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bagsmom_gw

Grape magic -- or another nice bluey-purple?

14 years ago

I tacked on my question to an old thread about purple daylilies, but I decided to start my own.

I am in Georgia. I have a sunny East-facing slope that is getting too hard to mow! I am in the process of removing the grass and making a landscape that will hopefully be pretty!

I am planning to put knock out roses at the top corners of the slope. I want to do two big triangular areas of purple daylilies coming down from the top. Probably two spaces about 3 feet wide at the top, going down about 6 feet -- and about 6 feet wide at the bottom. In short, two good-sized spaces.

I am thinking about Grape Magic. It is really nice looking in photos. I love the purple color and the yellow center. It is also affordable. (A big consideration since I'm filling a big space.)

Have any of you grown this daylily? Does it produce a lot of flowers? Will it be good for holding dirt on my slope? Is it as good-looking as it seems?

I have Stellas elsewhere in my yard -- I thought the yellow centers of grape magic would be nice with them.

I also saw Purple d'oro -- but read in many places that they are not a very nice purple.

Any thoughts for a new daylily grower?

Thanks so much for any advice you might have!

Comments (4)