SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bellarosa009

What's the one plant you can't grow?

bellarosa
17 years ago

For me, its annual poppies. I try every year to grow them and never have any luck. I'm going to try one more time this year and that's it. What about you? Is there a plant you've try to grow over and over, but have had no luck?

Comments (52)

• gottagarden
    17 years ago

pink coreopsis - I've tried every year, and they live through the summer, but they never come back next year, even though they're supposed to be zone 5 hardy.

• keesha2006
    17 years ago

poppies and delphiniums both!

• Related Discussions

Why can't I grow a simple ivy plant?

Q

Comments (10)
    I think this condition happens to everyone, just with different plants. Mine are the spider plant and the pothos variety - everyone goes on about how easy they are, but not for me! As for ivies, you'd hate to hear my stories. I've overwintered them to plant out the next summer, usually taking cuttings in the fall. Last fall I ran out of time, so I just ripped the very bushy single stemmed ivy out of it's pot (dirt flying everywhere), took the scissors and clipped the 12" length roots down to about 3" to fit in my little clay pot (limited for space here) kept in a bright spot without watering for 3 or 4 days, watered well and stuck in the south window to grow grow grow. Soon it will be time to clip off some cuttings, and I've got a well established momma plant to put out to. I have an orchid that did not bloom for 4 years straight, so I made the decision to 'chuck' it, and thought about it hard for several days (since it was a gift - and I always feel bad giving up on a gifted plant). Set my mind and set about to do it, and as I am walking to the garbage can my eye catches something, what is this? New root? NO! This could be a spike! So I gave it another week to prove itself and yes, it was a spike and it's been in bloom for nearly 2 months, so it gets to stay. Maybe try some evil thoughts with your ivies, let them know they have to earn their keep, no free ride. Worked for my phal orchid and me!
    ...See More

Plants you can't grow?

Q

Comments (25)
    My list is big, but one I've tried a couple of times is the common Crucifix Orchid (Epidendrum). Got some from my father and they slowly dwarfed and then disappeared. He had clumps of them growing in the garden. Late last year I got some more from a friend in a warmer climate hoping those may fare better. So far they're still hanging in but staying small (fingers crossed). Another I've tried is Chalice Flower, Solandra maxima. A friend sent me a whole lot of already rooted cuttings. A few rotted straight away and the rest put out some new growth but also rotted over the next few weeks. It's annoying when you know people who have these plants almost as weeds.
    ...See More

what one plant can you not grow

Q

Comments (25)
    Oh I can keep ivies alive, I just don't need the spidermites infesting everything else -- they are often a pain as it is. They love the low humidity over the winter it seems. My AVs in my terrs get water dumped on their leaves all the time with no issues. I suspect for some folks the issue may be either having the leaves wet and then the sun shining on them or the temp of the water being too cold. Marquest, the orchids at the grocery stores and BBS -- IME -- are often potted in incredibly crappy media or so badly mistreated (usually by overwatering) that the plants are already in bad shape when you get them.
    ...See More

Are there plants that you just can't grow or always kill?

Q

Comments (12)
    Rhubarb. I don't know what I continually do wrong but it'd died four times now. A friend of mine also had problems with getting rhubarb to live. He said the little plant would just disappear. I told him the only thing I could think of was that possibly some underground varmit was getting it and pulling it down and away. I'm not sure if he ever succeeded or not. If I have something die, or not do well, when I get a new one, or the opportunity, I move the existing one. A 'new' spot usually helps a lot. Sue
    ...See More
  • armyyife
    17 years ago

Delphiniums and Peonys

• PattiOH
    17 years ago

Campanula Carpatica "Blue Clips"! I never met another soul who couldn't grow this one.
    I'm hoping my new sandy-ish soil will give me success this year.

PattiOh

• mrmorton
    17 years ago

Delphiniums seem to be a trend. I've tried about three times and they always die. I'm not sure if it's the soil, placement, or just lack of know-how, but they don't like me. I'm not really sure if I'll try again this year. They are such quintessential cottage plants, though! ugh

• memo3
    17 years ago

Delphiniums, foxglove and lanvender...sigh.

MeMo

• flowerangel
    17 years ago

Yep...Delphiniums and Lupins. I too want Delphiniums sooo bad. I heard that they like good drainage. This year I am starting some in my greenhouse. That way if they don't make it I won't feel like so much money has gone down the drain...just time! LOL!! I'm not ready to give up yet...But Almost!!

• irene_dsc
    17 years ago

Patti - I tried campanula carpatica blue chips, too, and they never did anything for me, either! I had high hopes, but they just stayed tiny and finally died out...

Btw, I got some Limerock Ruby coreopsis one year, they bloomed their hearts out, and didn't come back the next year. I got them from Burpee, and noticed they didn't offer them the next year - that may have been why.

However, I somehow have a couple of delphiniums that have been hanging on from my original plantings 7 years ago! I really haven't done anything special with them either, but I'm not sure if I'm willing to risk it in the new garden. I tried some dwarf pink ones a couple of years ago, but they didn't survive - but that was also the year we had a horrible drought and I lost a lot of stuff that wasn't already established.

• goldenpond
    17 years ago

I didnt use to be able to grow delphiniums either I am in Florida after all. But I found if I fill my bed with cow manure and mushroom compost they love it.I now have a bed full of delphiniums,larkspur and foxglove are just openig up. But I am still trying to get Bachelor buttons to grow!
    And do not even try lilacs. That is Ok as I get to enjoy others that northerners cannotHere are some pictures of my Florida Cottage Garden{{gwi:641796}}
    {{gwi:641797}}

• gonativegal
    17 years ago

A real disappointment for me has been not being able to grow our beautiful native Blue Lobelia or Cardinal Flower brilliant red color)- they need consistently moist soil to fluorish plus they're short-lived even in ideal conditions.

Also, no success with dianthus (they rot in our winters here) but the garden centers continue to sell them. In fact most of the rock garden type plants like creeping phlox, sea pinks, cerastium etc become winter kill here in the Midwest because of the wet, cold conditions.

It really makes me mad (sorry) because there's so many other really great plants that I can't find at all except through specialized nurseries, which are far to drive to or through mail order.

And finally, Rhododendrens & Azaleas (with a few notable exceptions like the PJMs). I call these expensive annuals here. Not enough acidity in the soil for them to do well, along with harsh summers, heavy soil.

• homenovice
    17 years ago

I've been killing lavender for years. Just couldn't keep one alive. But I think I've finally got three or four to survive by neglect :-)

Anne

• todancewithwolves
    17 years ago

Delphiniums, clematis, gardenia and forget-me-nots.

Anne, lavender is a no fuss plant. It thrives on very little water and as you said, neglect.

Great thread.

Edna

• DYH
    17 years ago

Do I have to pick just one?

salvia leucantha -- gorgeous, then I can't overwinter it (marginal for my zone) in the garden.

verbena 'Homestead Purple' and achillea -- duh. Those should be easy. After all, I can grow lavender! It must be the mulch. DH loves to mulch and I go behind him uncovering plants!

My biggest challenge is potted plants because we're passive solar. We have a hot front porch in winter on SUNNY days, but we have cold nights. I'm going through trial-and-error after frying pansies this winter and ivy last winter.

Cameron

• hopflower
    17 years ago

Lilies-of-the-Valley----but I am trying again this year and it looks like some are coming up. I will see how long they last, though!

• bellarosa
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Its nice to see that I'm not alone in my plant frustations! I forgot to add one more plant and that's larkspur. I buy the same batch of seeds every year - Giant Larkspurs seed packet. I'll try it again. Wish me luck!

• putzer
    17 years ago

Monkshood and Jacob's Ladder. JL will grow, but then not come back the next year. Although, I have other places I can try putting them-maybe it was just a bad location....? Last year, I started Delphs, Lupine, and poppies from seed. I hope they come back!

• Steveningen
    17 years ago

I have sat shiva with more Gardenia plants than I care to count. The ability to grow beautiful gardenia is the only reason I would consider moving to Los Angeles (no offense LA).

Another heartbreak for me has been dicentra. I love Bleeding Hearts and I plant them faithfully every year. They're supposed to be able to grow here! I get nothing.

I keep seeing delphinium on the list. Me too. I have to admit to buying them in 6 inch containers at Home Depot and sticking them in the bare spots just for the quicky thrill.

The grass is always greener on the other side :)

• phyl345
    17 years ago

DELPHINIUMS!! why, oh why do so many of us knuckleheads keep throwing our money away?????

i HAVE been getting some good advice over on the midwest forum, ... so i guess i will try ONE MORE TIME!!! one more time ... one more time ...

phyl

p.s. our snow is FINALLY beginning to melt, can see my januray w.s. containers for the 1st time since putting them out ....

• giardinierven
    17 years ago

Larkspur, Love in a Mist, Stocks... yet across the field at my granmother's, they were weeds!!

• gottagarden
    17 years ago

Delphiniums - we keep trying because we love them!

They are very easy if you have full sun, rich soil, good drainage, adequate rainfall. That combination is the hard part. I think drainage is the factor most commonly at fault when delphs don't thrive.
    {{gwi:641798}}
    {{gwi:641799}}

Lupines, I think that is the same story.
    {{gwi:641800}}

Click on any photo for a larger image.

• bellarosa
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Gottagarden,
    Beautiful pictures! What is the name of the delphinum in the second picture? Also, how do you sow your lupines? Thanks for sharing.

• homequaker1
    17 years ago

Peonies, and I love them!

• jxa44
    17 years ago

oriental poppies! I can grow any other type of poppy, but this one. It's maddening. I'm trying again this year -- bought six, six packs and planted them this weekend. Wish me luck!

• threeorangeboys
    17 years ago

Now gottagarden, that is just mean! :) Do you have to rub in that you can grow EVERYTHING?? :)Gorgeous photos!
    Delphiniums definitely, although sadly, the list could go on and on! I've given up on delphs, now just grow larkspur which is the annual alternative. I think it is those photos of the cottage gardens in England with the miles of delphinium that have us all thinking about them!

• lynnencfan
    17 years ago

I have learned over the years to accept the fact that some plants won't grown in my climate/soil so I just admire them in your gardens from all over the country. BUT......that being said - for me it is Dames Rocket, fore-get-me-nots and poppies - easy self seeders for many but not for me. Other annual self seeders do good like larkspur, zinnias, petunias, ect so I am pretty sure it is not a matter of too much mulch or soil condition - they just don't like me ~~pouting in a corner~~......

Lynne

• gottagarden
    17 years ago

The delphiniums I have are "magic fountains", a 'shorter' kind about 3-4 feet tall. Except that particular purple doesn't look like the rest of my delphs, so perhaps it was mislabeled.

Lupins self seed here. A friend gave me some that self seeded in her garden. I had some come up on their own, so I guess I would say winter chill, sown on the surface.

And there are all kinds of things I can't grow, like anything for zone 6 and higher! I miss gardenias, salvias, calla lilies and much much more.

• jakkom
    17 years ago

Peonies. I have an expensive tree peony, and it just gets overshadowed by all the rampant evergreens that surround it, plus it hates our dry summers. It's still alive, putting out maybe 4-6 leaves during the year, but it's probably never going to really grow up.

Shrub bougainvillea 'Raspberry Ice'. I've tried three times, and that's it! No more!

• sierra_z2b
    17 years ago

I can't grow phlox. Not even the annual type. The perennial type in my garden just won't flower.....it lives and get tall with green leaves and that is it. I have tried several types...doesn't seem to matter. A friend that lives around the corner from me, grows big beautiful white phlox....she gave me some.....and not a single flower in my garden. I tried some annual types from seed. The germination rate, was not great, and the plants stayed small and looked scraggley. I don't know, LOL guess it just not a plant that is meant for in my garden.

Sierra

• armyyife
    17 years ago

I guess I hadn't checked this post in awhile cause boy did I miss those beautiful pic's gottagarden! I am soo jealous! I wonder if I make my beds a bit higher if that would help. I also can't grow lavender. I love it and would love a nice clump of lavender but it dies. Phlox ya that's another I think it's too humid here. So I guess the biggest things I can't seem to grow but wish I could are Del's, peony, lavender, phlox, oh and I wish I could grow lilacs!

• mmegaera
    17 years ago

For me it's not a plant it's a technique. I can sow seeds outside and some of them will come up, I can do just fine with bulbs and already-started plants, but I cannot seem to do well with seeds started in flats or pots. I'm giving it one more try this year by wintersowing, which is a new technique for me, but it does make seed catalogs very very frustrating every winter [sigh].

• erasmus_gw
    17 years ago

In my garden larkspurs sprout in cold weather, like in November. The little plants survive lots of cold, then take off in the spring if you thin them out. So I bet whoever had trouble with them might have better luck sowing them in the fall.

There's some kind of delphinium seeds from New Zealand that are suppossed to be more heat tolerant. Someone gave me a few plants of those and they bloomed a long time in the spring but ended up being annuals. STill, they were pretty. The freshness of the seeds is important in delphiniums, and this company in NZ says theirs are fresh.

For me campanulas are hard. I had a freak year when I had luck with some Canterbury Bells. It was like a dream come true. But usually no luck with Campanulas. Same with lupines. I grow a false lupine, thermopsis, which is bright yellow and very tough when established. Takes the heat.
    Linda

• moonphase
    17 years ago

For me it is also Delphiniums and lupine.I try every yr and get nothing.I did buy a plant from HD last yr.planted it and it never grew much...o'well.I have wsed some more,maybe this will be my lucky yr.I am sure gonna try the cow manure and mushroom compost that golden pond recomends.I have found that Larkspur is a good sub.Gottagarden you are an inspiration.I love seeing your photos.
    moonphase

• Lisa_H OK
    17 years ago

Marigolds. Honest!

Delphiniums and Lupines, I would LOVE to have them, but they laugh in my face :) I know it's because it is so hot here. I'm intrigued by the poster from Florida who gets them to grow.

For those who love poppies and larkspur, the wintersowing method is perfect for them. They will be one of your first sprouts. I had given up on poppies until I ran across Trudi's first essay on Winter Sowing (a gazillion years ago). I still grow them using that method because I don't have a great deal of luck hoping for self seeding. Larkspur on the other hand is almost a weed now :)

Did someone else mention nigella? It's also very easy with WS.

Lynne: Would you like me to save you some forget me not seeds, dames rocket and poppies this spring? I usually have an abundance of seeds from those.

Lisa

• romando
    17 years ago

I have done nothing special, but I have a delphinium which is actually doing pretty good. I got it at Target a couple of years ago, and it's up about 2 feet tall already this year. I'm a container gardener, so that may work with the drainage situation-- I have to water every day in the summer, and at least 3 times a week other times of the year. But for me, my impossible plants are: (no laughing)
    1) gardenia
    2) tulips
    3) morning glories from seed. They never make it to adulthood. Something eats them every dang time. It's maddening. If I buy them from a nursery, already growing, they're fine. But that means all I get is heavenly blue or crimson rambler. I've lost dozens of hard to get japanese morning glories, including 'grey lady' and 'wisteria rose tie dye'. I won't repeat the words that came out of my mouth.

Amanda 'romando'

• threeorangeboys
    17 years ago

Romando, try neem oil on your seedlings. That seems to keep bugs off my morning glories. I have grandpa ott's self-sowing so rampantly in my garden they ar ealmost a weed. Something munches them right down, but the neem oil seems to keep whatever it is at bay. I don't use any pesticides but the neem oil is certainly effective. I can send you some seeds if you want!

LIsa, do you do annual and perennial poppies or just annual? I have winter sown some red oriental poppies this year which I hope do well. I am worried as the seedlings are soooooo tiny. I hope I can transplant them.

• SandL
    17 years ago

Roses, particularily hybrid teas. I started off with about 8 in the garden. All purple and beautiful. The next Spring six were dead. One bit the bullet this Spring and the last one doesn't look so hot, but I see some growth on it. The only rose I've had any luck with so far is my climbing Cecile Brunner. I've decided not to invest in any more hybrid teas for a while.
    I'm keeping my fingers crossed on the lavender and Lobelia "The Rocket" plants until after Spring is over.

Heather

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    17 years ago

I'm afraid there's more than one I can't grow, The one that comes to mind right now is Pulsatilla. I plant them, they come back once and that's it game over. I see them in other peoples gardens so I must be doing something wrong. Can anybody out there give me some tips. Thanks in advance.

A......

• Lisa_H OK
    17 years ago

ThreeOrangeBoys: I only do annual poppies.

Congratulations on the new babies :) They will do fine, I am very sure! I always plant out using the "hunk" method.

Lisa

17 years ago

I'm afraid there's more than one I can't grow, The one that comes to mind right now is Pulsatilla. I plant them, they come back once and that's it game over. I see them in other peoples gardens so I must be doing something wrong. Can anybody out there give me some tips. Thanks in advance.

A......

17 years ago

Sorry about the double posting, I'm blaming it on the computer having the hickups.

A......

• boondoggle
    17 years ago

It's hard to pick just one thing (sigh). But I do have this beautiful large cement pot that has given me endless grief. I manage to kill whatever I try to grow in it. I've emptied it out, checked the drainage, cleaned it, replaced soil, but to no avail.

Right now a straggly blackberry is trying to hold its own in it. That's pretty bad when a blackberry won't grow. I'm thinking the problem is not the pot at all, but it's location. It's in a corner between a wood fence and a block wall. Too much shade. I think if I move it, I might have more luck, so I'm going to ditch the blackberry, move the pot, and try a sweet bay in it.

• susanlynne48
    17 years ago

Hi, y'all. I'm new to this forum, altho I've been on the Butterfly Forum and Oklahoma Gardening forum for years.

This is such a heartbreaking topic, though. Yes, I grew Larkspur by winter sowing and they did fine, but I have no reseeding whatsoever. This was my third attempt so they're out.

Perennial salvias, believe it or not, are short-lived for me.

I tried several different lavendars before I finally found one that would work for me in a location it liked - 'Provence', and it is humongous. But, it took several years of heartbreak before I found one that would do well here.

Tithonia just will not grow for me. Don't know why because it should.

'Heavenly Blue' morning glory is another. I see beautiful vines all around me in neighbor's yards, but nope, not I. I can grow other MGs happily, even the Japanese!

It's pretty sad, huh?

Susan

• esga
    17 years ago

Here I am in Georgia, and I can't grow Verbena Homestead Purple, which was discovered here. I am glad someone else here can't, because for most people this plant is even too exuberant! I am about to try again, I don't know why.

• diane_nny
    17 years ago

Mignonette. I keep trying, because the idea of a sweet smelling flower sounds so nice. But I have never had any luck with it at all.

• juliaw
    17 years ago

Annual poppies! I would've given up years ago except that I hate to be beaten, so I grimly scatter seed at every imaginable time of the year, just in case there's a magic window of potential that I've missed previously. (If we could list more than one, I'd mention that no "just scatter seed on the ground" form of annual flower has ever grown for me. Period. Even in pots. Even the ones that every other person on the planet thinks are vigorous to the point of being aggressive. Perennials, no problem.)

• tosser
    17 years ago

Parsley from seed. Every year I buy 2-3 packets, but nothing ever comes up. I have no problem keeping established plants going, but can't make it sprout! Maybe this year...

• zebz
    17 years ago

Just passing through, but had to post about this.

I can't grow Nicotiana sylvestris or sanderae (from direct sown seed). Have tried for eight years now and it just won't grow. It used to be dill that wouldn't take, but that seems to have corrected itself.

• ronda_in_carolina
    17 years ago

Very sad, but:

Pieris Japonica bush. Lovely pearl like flower clusters in spring with all new growth being brilliant red. Totally beautiful and every Pieris I plant dies.....
    yet if I buy one for someone else.....it lives to perfection. Sigh...

Lupines and delphiniums...they dont like me.

Heather (Sandl) blue aka purple roses are the most fussy roses out there. They are very very prone to disease and failure to thrive. Don't kick yourself, try something else. In the link below you will find the roses I grow. I wont fuss over my roses or spray for fungus so the list might be a good starting place for you. There should be photos of most of these roses at this site as well. You will have to check to make sure the roses are hardy for you as I am in zone 7a but its worth another shot!!

Here is a link that might be useful: My list of roses -- no fussing required

• ghoghunter
    17 years ago

Well I could never pick just ONE plant! There are tons of things that give me trouble. How about Bells of Ireland... I can't get them to sprout for love nor money and I'm Irish!!! Then there is Galliardia which grows like crazy for everyone else but me... one year is all I ever get out of it! I mean what gives??? Then there is that Red Coreopsis Limerock Ruby that lasts only one summer and then disappears never to be seen again and those gorgeous Oriental Poppies that last like 35 seconds and then that's IT???? and then there were my supine lupine and I could go on and on. It's really very sad. I'll have to go get a tissue. This is making me tearful!

• bloominganne
    17 years ago

I guess it's human nature to want what we don't have. I can't grow delphiniums either. It dawned on me, reading this thread, that I can't seem to grow a lot of plants that are tall and delicate looking - which of course, I crave. Hollyhocks, foxgloves, lupines, oriental poppies all seem to wither away before my eyes or last one season and disappear. These types of plants add an elegant touch to a cottage garden, IMHO.

One of my first times on GW I stumbled across a thread that seemed to go forever about trouble growing gardenias. It got pretty funny with the woes and frustrations. Of course, gardenias are not a problem for me. I have one that blooms so prolifically that it looks like it's been snowing. Yet it's not in my top five favorite plants. What's up with that?

bloominganne

Sponsored