SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lavender_lass

Five favorite spring flowers?

lavender_lass
14 years ago

As spring arrives in some areas, I started wondering what are your five favorite spring flowers? Why are they your favorites?

My five favorites are Sweet Purple Violets, Yellow Daffodils, Apple Tree blossoms (those count, right?)Narcissus Actaea (pheasant eye) and old-fashioned, smell good, white, lavender through dark purple, lilacs.

Years ago, some of these may not have made my list of top five, but they all bloom on the farm and were planted by my husband's grandmother. In the past several years, they've come to represent spring to me.

The yellow daffodils are everywhere. They've naturalized over the past 50+ years and there must be literally hundreds.

The lilacs form an 80' long and probably at least 12' tall hedge along the old farmhouse, with a few other large shrubs in other areas. They all bloom at the same time and they're in white, every shade of lavender and really dark purple.

The apple tree is in front of the lilac hedge and magnificent when they bloom at the same time. The entire tree is covered with white flowers for at least a week, humming with bumblebees, before the petals begin to flutter slowly to the ground.

The white narcissus are more rare, found only in a few small clumps, which make them even more valuable to us. They're so delicate and beautiful that MY grandmother loved them when she was alive.

The sweet violets have a great fragrance and bloom in small clusters under the lilacs, along a path by the sheds and here and there in shady spaces. I've put some in the fairy garden, around the bird bath, where the little girls can enjoy them.

Please share your five favorite spring flowers and what makes them special to you :)

Comments (19)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting