SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
fla_panther

Possible dying Lemon tree?

fla_panther
15 years ago

I took over my gma's house this year.... in particular I'm concerned about a lemon tree. In one corner of the yard the previous owner had planted an orange tree and lemon tree about 6' apart, but unfortunately gma wasn't very handy with anything plant-related so the orange tree overgrew the lemon tree. Since these two trees are also shadowed by a much larger tree, the lemon tree only had one option - grew very tall and thin to reach the small bit of sun it could get to.

This year the lemon tree's done something very strange. It's dropped almost all its leaves. While I was harvesting the oranges I cleared out the dead branches... when I got to the lemon tree I noticed a good number of the branches were dead, and not just 2' sections... entire 4'-8' sections. It's also grown a strange crop of lemons that are small (2" and round), and maybe double the number of them than usual. Lastly, I found a section of stump (about 3" in diameter, maybe 12" long) that had been cut years ago and was rotted. When I broke it off I found a sizable nest of black ants.

My hunch is that between the ants and being crowded out by the other two trees it's giving its last gasp.... dropping all its leaves and making as many small lemons as it can (to maximize seed output) before dying. The only other thing I can think of is that the lack of sun it's getting maybe made it drop its leaves? But that doesn't explain the strange crop this year...

Thoughts?

Comments (4)