SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gcwelham

Calamondin post vacation stress

gcwelham
16 years ago

Hello,

Can anyone help me with this question? I bought a Calamondin plant back in September or October, repotted as suggested by the garden center. It was doing great; the flowers all blossomed and yielded many small fruits. We went on vacation at the beginning of November. When we returned, I found most of the leaves curled, but not entirely dry. The soil (potting soil) was entirely dry, and we later found out our friend who was watering our plants missed this one (oops). The leaves ended up curling entirely and dropping, and about 30% are remaining. They look pretty good for the most part.

I did notice that some of the fallen leaves have a strange growth on the back-- not like the photos or scale or other disease that have been mentioned in other posts. The growth is brown and grows on the underside of the leaf, but does not show on the top; it seems to grow near the center vein and spread from there. Only a few of the leaves have it, not the majority at all. I cut off the few leaves that seemed to be affected. Hopefully that will nip it in the bud. Photos of some of the affected leaves are in the link below. It was difficult to get close enough, but hopefully they are helpful.

Of my many many fruits that were formed, only a few have survived, which is devastating to me.

What I've done is added gravel to the saucer of a 12" pot and keep that watered. It's in the sunniest window I have, and the temperature is generally between 55-65. I also put a clear plastic bag, vented on the top, over the plant to help keep humidity up. The bag is one the dry cleaner puts over your clothes. It's difficult keeping the humidity up enough in the winter.

I'll do anything that will help this plant. Any advice is greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Here is a link that might be useful: Calamondin photos

Comments (7)