SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
smooshie1

Getting Rid of Cottony Cushion Scale on my Lime Tree

smooshie1
17 years ago

I've just determined through extensive research that my young Bearss Lime Tree which I purchased in the spring from Four Winds has contracted Cottony Cushion Scale.

I emailed Four Winds and they said to use Safer soap to get rid of it. However, I've also seen advice in other places to use Horticultural Oil or Organocide.

I am trying to determine which is the best way to get rid of it with the following concerns in mind:

1. I have two cats who may come into contact with the tree (although I could lock it in another room for a while) so I prefer not to use something poisonous to them.

2. It's a pretty extensive outbreak and I would like to vigoursly treat the problem before it overtakes my little tree.

3. What method is best for applying any of these products? Spraying, spot-treating with cotton swabs, scraping off the scale then spraying or spot treating it? I can take the tree outside to treated if it requires a lot of messy spraying or anything.

Also, I have an older Eureka Lemon Tree in the same room, but reasonably far away from the lime tree, that seems healthy and happy. Do I need to be concerned about it contracting the scale too?

I'm a bit of a novice when it comes to gardening, so specific and easy to understand advice would be very helpful.

Thank you so much and I look forward to your responses!

empecot

Comments (3)