SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cfox248

It's NOT scale... It's whitefly, and my fixes aren't working.

cfox248
9 years ago

Posted a bit ago about me wondering if this scale infestation is REALLY a scale infestation or not... and, as I found out today, it's not. It's whitefly. I came back after a weekend away to find the branches sticky again and covered in white puffyness - what I thought before was the cottonwood tufts sticking to the sticky branches. Did some googling, and was on the fence between Whitefly and Cottony Cushion scale.... I looked all over the tree and under one of the leaves found a single little snow white bug crawling away from me. A whitefly.

Very frustrating, since before I left the tree spent a day inside getting rubbed down with alcohol and neem. I will have to change my tactic, since it's obviously not working. A soap solution maybe, with Rosemary oil. Starting to see symptoms on my orange tree, too, so I'd better get cracking.

It's baffling to me, both trees are outside so I didn't figure it was an issue, I figured beneficial insects would take care of most problems. Everything I'm googling says outdoor trees shouldn't need chemical control. Of COURSE mine would be the exception.

If anybody has any miracle Whitefly cures, I'm all ears. Alcohol and neem are not working. I'm getting a lot of mixed messages with the search function - some say oil doesn't work, some say Neem is the best, etc etc.

On the plus side, my lemon is finally sending out new shoots... I really want to get them under control before they kill those off!

This post was edited by cfox248 on Wed, Jun 18, 14 at 14:19

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations