SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lavender_lass

Do you have theme gardens?

lavender_lass
14 years ago

This question has probably been asked before, but do you have theme gardens? While thinking about how I want to set up my garden journal, I realized I have a name for each garden space. I have the entry garden, the fairy garden, the fragrance garden, the vegetable garden, the mediterranean kichen garden, the old-fashioned rose garden and the mint border.

Some are already started and some are in the planning stages, but I find it easier to know what plants I want to include, it they fit the theme. While some themes are obvious, others are more practical. The entry garden is actually against the house, so I use mainly thornless roses (in case I have to touch up paint) and perennials that will look nice all summer and (hopefully) will be a little less maintenance. The fairy garden is half shade garden/half butterfly and bee garden, with fun things inlcuded, like gallica roses that change color and miniature roses with violets. The mint border is along two sides of the house, which gives me a great place for spearmint and bee balm, but can be mowed along one side to keep them under control. It's also great for keeping mice away from the house :)

Do you have theme gardens or a garden that fits into a category, or just a similar garden space that runs around the house? I probably get this garden style from my mom, who loves cottage gardens, but always manages to have a shade garden, an asian-style garden with her japanese maple and garden lantern, etc. and a big vegetable garden. This year, she's planning her butterfly/bee garden and a separate wildlife/bird garden in the back part of her property. There, she's using mostly native plants, so it saves on water and will do well without protection from the house in the winter.

What kind of gardens do you have and are there any you are hoping to add in the future?

Comments (12)

Sponsored