SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
meyer_noob

Meyer lemon dying, wrinkled and yellowing leaves

meyer_noob
9 years ago

Hello all,

First off this is a great site, I've been able to answer a lot of questions I've had just by reading others' posts. But now I'm at a stand still. This is my first citrus and really the first plant I haven't killed within a few weeks. I've had my Meyer for about 6 months. I bought it off Amazon and it said it was between 4-5 years old. It had about 6 lemons but since then a few have fallen off and I removed one after it split from over watering.

Soil I used an organic mix called vigroro that said it was for growing fruits and herbs in containers. Fertilizer I used Dr. Earth fruit tree, once when I planted it and once about 3 months ago. Last month I saw the tips of some leaves were yellowing so I gave it an orchid fertilizer that had more nitrogen in it, because I read that yellowing tips might be due to nitrogen deficiency.

As I alluded to earlier, I originally loved my Meyer too much and was over-watering. This was about 3 months ago that I found out I was over doing it when I came home to water leaving out the bottom of the pot. Since then I have gotten a moisture measuring stick and only water about 20oz every 3-4 days.

Other information. I live in Chicago with west facing windows that are floor to ceiling glass. I know there isn't enough natural light so I have been supplementing with a growers light. Especially now that it's darker earlier I leave the light in about 4 hours per day. I also spritz my plant daily with water for humidity (always when my plant light it off to avoid burning the leaves. I don't have a water softener so salt shouldn't be the issue. We did have fungal gnats at first (last time I buy organic soil!) We finally got rid of them by putting down about 2" of sand mixed with yellow sticky traps. I got rid of the sand when the plant started looking sickly, about a month ago because I thought it might be strangling the roots by preventing oxygen from getting in.

I thought I was doing well up until last month. Please help!

Comments (7)