SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
john_coffey91

Meyer Lemon Tree - Yellow and Brown Leaves

John Coffey (Zone 7b)
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

Lem Lem is having a time of it. The leaves that were once yellowing and dropping off are now turning brown.

A closer look provides more detail,

Houzz has been a wonderful forum as to what could be maligning Lem Lem. Based on the wisdom gleaned from this website I have,

• Kept her in the basement under a 15 Watt LED - which is equivalent to 100W incandescent - for 20 hours a day.
  • Put a humidifier next to her.
  • Stopped watering her frequently.
  • Made sure the soil was very loamy so as not to accumulate water.
  • Put a heat pad under her to keep her roots warm.
  • Added fertilizer with lots of micro-nutrients to make sure she was getting them all. I used Mittleider PrePlant and Weekly Feed. Basically, 17-17-17 fertilizer with Epson Salts, Boron, Lime and micro-nutrients. Added this just once, because it is winter and I didn't want to over fertilize.
  • Hosed off all of the spider mites that I found on her.

I am in Zone 7b in Marietta, GA. As a result of the advice I took on this forum, Lem Lem seemed to stop dropping her leaves as readily. It could have been my own bias, but it appeared to slow the problem.

Two weeks ago I took her outside. The only reason I took her outside is I believe the natural weather is better for her than the basement provided it doesn't get too cold. The winter has been very mild lately.

Right now, Lem Lem is in a large 5 gallon pot in the ground. This makes it easier to bring her inside if the weather starts changing too fast. I just pull the pot out of the ground, set her on a dolly and roll her in. The rocks are kept at her base to mitigate the fluctuations in temperature.

Well now she looks worse than ever. I'm thinking it could have been the shock of coming outside even if it hasn't gotten below 50 degrees since she has been out. It has rained a lot lately and this could explain all the petals on the ground. All in all I am confused as to what to do next. How can a plant that has leaves this bad be producing so many flowers? On one hand Lem Lem is saying I am healthy and ready to make lemons, while on the other hand the leaves say she is on her last leg? Would be very grateful for any feedback. Thank you very much.

Sincerely,

John

Comments (8)