SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
johnplace

Let's talk about Landscape Design with Conifers...

13 years ago

I was searching online and found a really great article discussing how to landscape with conifers. (I attached the article as a link below). It mentions some basic ideas, such as the idea that the characteristics of a particular plant can be better appreciated if its companions provide a contrast, which of course makes sense. It then goes on to say that shape is the first (and primary) mechanism for providing this contrast (for example, mixing round shapes with pyramid shapes and square/flat shapes) because "shape" provides the silhouette which is visible at great distance and which provides the overall outline. Beyond shape, the author suggests varying color and texture. All great ideas. I really thought the article was much better than what one typically finds on the Web, so I recommend it!

My question for you all is: Are there any other "landscaping with conifer" tips that you can share?

For instance, in another thread, I believe someone suggested that conifers with a pointy tip wouldn't look good pointed up at a tree hanging overhead (although this is not immediately intuitive to me).

Can any of you share additional tips?

Here is a link that might be useful: LANDSCAPE DESIGN WITH CONIFERS ARTICLE

Comments (11)