SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_459360

Let's Talk About.....Ceilings

User
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

I was looking through Master Class, JP Davis' funny and acerbic design blog that is my favorite for its pictures and wit, and came across his wonderful post on ceilings. There is a much wider range of style in ceiling design than I ever realized. Often called the "fifth wall," ceilings are especially ornate in dining rooms and master bedrooms. When we bought this house it had ceilings painted in much stronger colors than I was used to. The living room and MBR have lovely tracery ceilings that had been painted RED! The other ceilings in the main living areas and hallways were painted a light taupe (SW China Doll). Our ID had the tracery ceilings painted white, but suggested we leave the taupe in place. I was skeptical but he promised they would grow on me, and he was right. Here is the link to JPD's blog post on ceilings, some of the designs with polished wood are truly fabulous!

http://jpdschoolofdesign.blogspot.com

and here are a few of mine:

MBR is 22' in length, center vault is about 17'

Same tracery treatment in living room but a square vault:

The flat part of the ceiling is 10' and painted taupe. Our Library ceiling is 14" and the same taupe looks much darker. The dining room ceiling is all white, and the other bedrooms have a ceiling painted a subtle color complementary to the walls.

Please, show us what's on your fifth wall........Color? Texture? Trays? Tracery? Beams?

Comments (22)