SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ricksample

Green Giants Browning Tips

ricksample
12 years ago

These were grown in a Green House and I put them out in full sun. No doubt that it's probably because of this. However, I didn't know that I was supposed to harden them off before planting, I just read that you should after reading posts on this forum from Ken. I've always planted from the green house to the yard without problems. I have 20 green giants. 10 planted and 10 in the garage. The ones in the garage still look normal. The ones in the sun have SLIGHT brown tips to a few of the top branches. I don't have photos, but they kind of look like the ones in the link. My GG's are larger and aren't as bad as the ones in the link. I just thought that I would post to make sure they will be ok and if I should take any corrective measures before they get worse. I do have some thin cloth material I can put over each one. Almost like a t-shirt type material, but 3x thinner.

Thankfully the next couple days will be cloudy and rainy so it'll give them a little time in the shade.

They have been in the ground for just over a week now. Will these be ok and continue to grow this year or did I burn up the new growth and they won't grow until next year?

How long should I harden my next 10 off before planting in the sun?

Zone 6

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:702321}}

Comments (8)