SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bobbi_p

Suggested spacing for a hedge using these trees...

14 years ago

Hello citrus forum. I was sent over here to ask the experts on citrus. We are building a large arbor for flowering vines behind our pool. I envision a solid citrus hedge behind this arbor to provide evergreen privacy, fragrance, and fruit! I'm on the far northwest side of Houston barely in Zone 9a.

{{gwi:641052}}

I know by selecting different varieties of citrus "uniform hedge" may be difficult to create, but would like your opinions on spacing/mature size of the following varieties:

2 Pineapple Orange

1 unknown orange grown from seed (I know it's not likely to be good fruit. I just have to. It's a long story, not really pertinent here...)

1 Meyer Improved Lemon

1 Algerian Tangerine (sold to me to be like a "Clementine")

1 Brown Select Satsuma

I have Googled each of the varieties without finding mature tree sizes. Most sites describe the various varieties as a "medium tree" or "small tree." The fruit tree sale/orchard coordinator for the Harris County Master Gardeners (Extension) described the lemons around 10 ft, the oranges "bigger," and then said the tangerine and the Brown's select will be quite petite.

My vision IS for a solid hedge, so I'm thinking I'll put the 3 orange trees in the center about 8 feet apart, the lemon on one end peeking out from behind the arbor about 5 feet from the oranges, the tangerine on the opposite end about 4 feet from the orange, and the Brown's Select Satsuma in a different location because the Master Gardener told me it will only have 2-3 upright branches that can be trained with supports. Sounds like it might be good to try an espalier.

Please let me know if this spacing sounds approximately right to form a solid hedge in time, but allow enough space so individual trees can spread a bit.

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Frasure Home Improvements
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Franklin County's Highly Skilled General Contractor