SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
meg_wilson2

Suggestions for privacy hedge

Project Tackler
4 years ago

(Zone 8 (more like on the line between 7 and 8), by the way.) Our backyard neighbors have several LARGE (i.e., over 30 foot) red tips that have been slowly dying of the dreaded southeast fungus plaguing all of them. They are going to cut them down completely at some point (right now they are only buzzing off the dead branches). They were SO full and gave us 30 feet of completely, lush privacy for many years (our house is on a slight hill and theirs is on a lower level lot). I knew this day would eventually come.

We want to plant a privacy hedge along the 4 foot chain link fence they have installed between our properties. We thought wax leaf ligustrum, but we have heard that maintenance is awful in order to prevent them from becoming top heavy trees. We love tea olives -- but would that provide privacy with less maintenance? (I am ok with one to two prunings a year, but not more, if possible.) We don't really care for spruce or juniper.

My questions are:

1) Best evergreen privacy hedge for zone 8 with moderate to fast growth rate, minimal pruning?

2) Are there any that will grow okay next to and small branches growing on THROUGH a chain link fence so that, if neighbors agree, we can plant but they can also benefit from a beautiful hedge backdrop as well? (We have hollies that do this on our side yard -- fence is completely swallowed by them now -- but I'd prefer something less prickly since grass cutting is tricky there.)

3) Best time to plant?

4) Small quart pot or 3 gallon plants?

5) We have some leggy azaleas staggered along our side of the fence, ranging from 2 feet to 4 feet from the fence. Will we have to take those out? Can some stay? Need some advice on spacing, both in how far to plant hedge from fence as well as how far apart to space them along the fence. Keeping some or all of the azaleas is preferred (they are sentimental), but not mandatory.

Thank you!

Comments (23)

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES