SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
whittler01

Thuja Green Giant (pea pot sized) planted

whittler01
15 years ago

Live on a bald topped hill in Boone C. MO. Purchased 25 of the peapot ( 8" to 12" sprouted cuttings in peapots) sized GG's for privacy and windbreak. Roundup'd and rototilled a 5ft swath down the lot line and got the trees planted a few days later. Mulched them and bought 50ft of chicken wire and a bunch of 1X2X8 lathe board and made cylindrical cages with 2ft sections of the chicken wire stapled to my stakes (lathe cut down and pointed to fit), to fend off critters. Man, the wind is fierce this spring, my saplings looked pretty rough after two days. Rooting around the old shed I spotted a 100ft roll of 4" drain tube socking (stuff that can be slid over 4" black drain pipe to stop silting in the pipes). Cut 14" (eyeballed actually) sections of the 'sock' and slid this stuff down on my tree cylinders. Breathable stuff - really made a diffence, little trees get air, the howling wind goes right over the top of the little enclosures, the sun gets to the saplings very nicely. Out of 25 little rascals I think I have maybe 2 at most that are still looking peckish, the rest seem to be growing (or is this wishful thinking after only one week). Now the rains are hitting hard, after all this crazy work I hope they make it! The prep including mulch, roundup, stakes, chicken wire, time,etc, cost like triple the price of the trees themselves. If I figure out my kids camera I can download some shots of my little project. Little GG's don't like wind!

Comments (4)